Bathurst Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ElNino, May 6, 2017.

1. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Bathurst i've always been even slower on compared to the top guys vs other tracks - recently been doing some hot laps and getting better (in division 2 at least now).

But I have a turn which is my BANE ever since i first drove the track - according to map it's turn 18 "The dipper" - the last left into the downhill straight at end of elevated curvy section of track.

I would love to hear some tip. There is a slight right just before it...do you brake at all into that right hander or do all your braking after that right (for the upcoming left of doom)? What worse, if you don't brake a bit before that right, it's so easy to lock up braking for the left as i'm still turning when braking.

Tips, anecdotes, sympathy...all appreciated...discuss...

Attached Files:

2. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    can't remember so many Esses... have to drive again to check...

3. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I brake lightly before and into that right handed before then harder when straight. Huh wall on left and get on throttle when blue signs disappear

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0

Interesting that you say hug wall on left, i try to get over to right after that right to prep for upcoming left...also to late apex...probably a big part of my issue, especially with braking and locking up trying to get over there...will try that...seems like it would solve alot of my issue... thanks!!

5. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Yup, high part of track is full of esses...pretty unique in that regard...took me awhile to go remotely quick through all those. Bathurst is just a unique track i guess...

On a side note, it still amazes me how good it looks in R3E. Heard someone say the pcars version looks like a bad mod in comparison, have to agree.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Patrick van der Meulen

Patrick van der Meulen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Well, I always close my eyes and hope for the best going through the esses. :p;)

For me, going down from turn 11 to 13 is most challenging for not crashing and be fast as well. For the dipper, I slow down just before turn 17 to carry enough speed to be fast enough and not crashing into the walls. But I'm not the finest example for alien laptimes. Fastest times I have driven are around 2:09 in GT3 cars. But mostly it's in the 2:12 - 2:15 area. Although I'm improving somewhat in concistency.

Best thing to do is look for onboard videos on Youtube of the 12h of Bathurst and preferably the ones with telemetry overlay and study them extensively, or try to count the gears. You can learn a lot from them.

And before I forget: don't underestimate the importance of getting good through the first corner, wrong lines and a tad to early or late braking can cost you easily a second or 2. And from corner 2 to 10 are also as equally important to drive flowing lines. The harder you push, especially from 5 to 9, the slower your time will be in the end. So focus on driving really in a good flow, and than the faster times will start making their appearance. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Squidboy

Squidboy Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    overtheline92 has done a great track 'how to'. i think you take off throttle on preceading corner then break hard and hug inside left line. I have been practicing this circuit today and got down to 2.08 after watching this. I lack consistency big time though.
    (sure he wont mind me sharing)...

• Like Like x 2
  8. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    @Patrick van der Meulen on the first corner exit i totally hear you. What prompted my recent bathurst trials was a VIP challenge, vs some VIP in gt3 vette. He was so much faster through turn 1 and pending straight, so ive since been hotlapping like crazy and much improved my front straight speeds by being patient on turn 1.

So now to do the same for this back straight..already did better earlier following @tlsmikey suggestion to try and hug left...so now im not so worried about getting back over to the right before the left...end up somewhere in middle, but not spinning.

Also, do you shift into 1st for that turn (ill check the video...much thanks!!)

Ok watched that video which is 100% fantastic....awesome breakdown. So now i know....im doing it wrong! Need fo focus on getting out of that right hander with car balanced, straight, and already on outside of upcoming left.

Thanks to all for the help.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 7, 2017