Problem Black screen within minutes of driving

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Why485, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Ever since the FRJ cars have been released, the game will go to a black screen within minutes of driving. After a couple seconds of this black screen I can still hear the car moving and responding to input, but I have no visual. If I alt tab out, when I alt tab back in, I still see my desktop but the game still responds to input and I can hear things happening just fine.

This sounds like a video card issue so I just updated my drivers to the latest and that hasn't helped at all.

The last time I played was just after the big patch that added the FFB Clip meter and I had no issues playing for hours on end when that was released. Today I had some time and decided to test drive the FRJ cars but after only a minute or so of driving, sometimes within literally seconds, I get that black screen.

Is there a log I can find/attach to help? The game is completely unplayable for me.

i5 3570k
    16GB DDR3
    Nvidia 770 GTX
    Thrustmaster T300RS

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  2. Why485

Why485 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I figured this out.

My graphics card was a bit of a lemon, so I've been underclocking it to prevent stuff like the video driver crashing in the middle of games. For whatever reason that underclock became un-applied, causing R3E to crash the display driver.

I've put it back to the slightly lower clock I used to run at and the game is running perfectly fine now.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1