Question Brake Balance Slider Control?

Dieses Thema im Forum "Community Support" wurde erstellt von daymobrown, 20. Februar 2021.

1. daymobrown

daymobrown New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm trying to use a slider on an old HOTAS as a brake balance controller. I suspect the that this is not possible as there are only bindings for digital +/- keys. If I map my slider to those functions, it does change the setting but only to max front or back without displaying the change on the dash.

Anyone else tried this?

2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    To support a slider the brake balance control would need to be a single control which supports being assigned to an axis, like the wheel. It doesn't though, as it's two controls set to work digitally like buttons, one for increase and one for decrease. So it can never work smoothly with the axis position determining the amount of brake balance applied.

3. daymobrown

daymobrown New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I feared as much. I'm now wondering if I can cobble something together with JoytoKey.

4. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I was just thinking about that, and you probably can't for the same reasons mentioned above. External software can emulate an axis on digital controllers sure. But emulating an axis on digital controls? Not so much.

I mean, you could potentially have an axis controlling traction control, because R3E has separate bindings for TC level 1, TC level 2, etc. So you could assign an axis value of 1-10% to TC1, 11-20% to TC2, etc. However, the brake balance doesn't work like that. It's just two bindings, one to increase, one to decrease. When you want the value to hold steady, you have to release the control. So you will only ever be able to set an axis to increase the value when moving it one way, decrease it moving it the other way, and keep it level when centred. You won't be able to have it set a specific brake balance level based on it's position along the axis.

5. daymobrown

daymobrown New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking of dividing the axis into zones. Then programming key presses for those zones. I'll work out the amount of presses to go from min to max and divide the axis into that. The macro to alternate the key presses like a switch shouldn't be too difficult.

6. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    That might work, yeah. Let us know how you get on. :)

7. daymobrown

daymobrown New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0