Problem Can’t go full screen after monitor upgrade

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by mach999, Oct 28, 2023.

1. mach999

mach999 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    So, I changed my monitor from a 34” ultra wide 3440x1440 160Hz to a 45” same resolution but 240Hz. When I booted the game it started in a windowed mode with 1080x720 60Hz (it always ran at full screen native resolution before). Then when I tried to change it back in the settings, the game just froze. After a bit of fiddling in the xml file under user data folder (changed the line which defines windowed mode from 0 to 2), I can successfully launch it in 3440x1440 240Hz BUT only in borderless windowed mode, whenever I try to change it to full screen it just freezes (no crash tho, I can always tab out to desktop and stop the game thru steam). I’ve also tried verifying game file integrity; deleting the whole user data folder under my document, none of those worked Should I just settle for playing in borderless window mode now? I do notice fps drop tho. Any suggestions? Thx!

2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Renaming the Documents/My games/Simbin folder doesn't help?

3. mach999

mach999 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I’ve tried deleting the graphics config xml file, did not work. The game just recreated a new one when I re launched it after deleting. Then I tried deleting the whole simbin folder, same thing, didn’t help.

4. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    What happens if you set fullscreen through graphics_options.xml? It's
    <windowMode type="int32">1</windowMode>

5. mach999

mach999 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    That's exactly what I did initially. Did not work. The game just launches and once passes the logo screen nothing happens. I know the game is running cuz I can hear the menu music, but it's still showing the desktop. I've also tried reinstalling the GPU driver (7900xt) and reinstalling the game, still the same thing...

6. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, that's a bummer. Does it work in fullscreen at lower refresh rates?

7. mach999

mach999 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    No it doesn’t work even if I lower the monitor rate to 144. Weirdly when I launch the 32 bit R3E it works with full screen sans problem. Maybe there’s a clue?

8. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    And you can't alt-tab to the game?

Maybe it's more of an OS or drivers issue than the game one? To OS, 32 bit version is an entirely different program, so maybe 64 bit version got "stuck" with some wrongly assigned displaying properties. I would try reinstalling GPU drivers, preferrably a clean reinstall with DDU (so that nothing is left from your current install): https://www.guru3d.com/download/display-driver-uninstaller-download/

9. mach999

mach999 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It was already in game cuz when I do alt-tab it goes out to desktop (the actual desktop).

So I did a DDU uninstall, running it 3 times before restarting, deleted the graphics option xml under My Documents, Freshly installed the latest driver from AMD, tried it and NO LUCK. Same behavior as before, 32 bit one works with full screen but not the 64 bit. I guess reinstalling windows may or may not solve it. I give up now, I’ll just play in borderless windowed mode

10. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    That's pretty strange... Sad it didn't work.