Can my V8 please sound like a race motor rather than a kirby vaccum?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by richlevy2003, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Thank you Flavourlicious, the first video is quite cool, but the sound seems different from the GT3 car though. Too bad :(

2. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    So guys, I tried to make a new cockpit sound for the Camaro GT3 using some videos found on the John McIntyre facebook page.

Unfortunately, the result wasn't satisfying, so I'm afraid we're stuck with the bad Camaro sound for now.

Sincerely sorry for that :(

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Flavourlicious

Flavourlicious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Maybe we (all of us) can ask the team (via FB or YT) for onboard video's of the camaro. :p

4. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Well, the videos available on the net are posted by the teams, I don't think they can provide some much better material unless they rent some professional equipment especially for that ;)

5. Flavourlicious

Flavourlicious Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    Yeah good point.

6. Tempest83

Tempest83 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Man i just wanted to thank you Anthony for the wonderful work done with the sound aspect of the game, it is undoubtedly the best sounding sim out there and it is one of its big atractions. Also, ive never witnessed this kind of communication between the developers and the racers/users. Tremendous guys!!!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Tempest83

Tempest83 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Just wanted to leave this here to @Anthony Monteil since he is so passionate (as i am) with engine sounds... i believe this to be the best video on Youtube with the 155 V6 Ti Dtm engine sounds, and the awesome thing about it is that is covers all the usual camera angles used in racing simulators.

Maybe you can use it in the future... Wink Wink :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    no break lights?! :eek:

i can see my self rear ending people in them

• Like Like x 1
  9. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Yea, it's a great video that I carefully stored in my YT playlists, hoping that we would add this car to the game (unlikely but....) :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    Come on Anthony ,push for a DTM 95 pack!Btw,there is a Camaro mod for AC that is getting praise for its sounds.Dont know if anyone here has tried it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. maciejptx

maciejptx Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    definitily sounds could be better , its a bit of confusing , when the exterior sounds are brilliant in most of cases but interior are lot worse exeption is Mercedes Benz 190 E, McLaren and few others , but keep in mind that gmotor engine gives almost unstopable oportunities in terms of making brilliant sounds, so good luck ;)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  12. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    this is actually entirely realistic the exhaust points out not in and their is no effort to dampen transmission whine so that is the majority of what a real race driver hears.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    the new US car sound files of NfS 2015 are f**king great ...

added to the wish list of R3E :oops:

14. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    I think we will hear more and more great sounds in other games and it's a good thing for all of us. Car sounds in racing games finally got the attention they deserve.

And that's one more reason for us to keep improving the sounds.:grinning:

I 'm not allowed to say much about it yet, but be sure the team is working hard to offer you the best audio experience, now and in the future ;)

• Like Like x 6
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  15. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    That sounds great. Maybe a new game sound engine :eek:??? We all are looking forward to improvements. Thx :).

• Like Like x 1
  16. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    With more electric cars in future, I am sure some companies will specialize in sound mods for those cars ;) precious IP to be made.

17. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I'm also quiet impressed by what Codies (finally)did with Dirt Rally in this regard, very authentic....

18. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    Yea, these guys are amazing. I wish we had the same budget and as many sound designers/programmers, that really makes a difference here. :grinning:

I'm really looking forward to show what our "small" team can do though ;)

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  19. Anthony Monteil

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    It will probably happen indeed, but for some reason it makes me sad and the concept sounds a bit ridiculous.

And that's without considering the technological barriers that will prevent these sound mods to be loud (externals) or then they'll be extremely expensive.:eek:
    Good sound systems are usually heavy and cumbersome but I guess some innovative manufacturer (like Bose ie) could bring some solutions.

Still, I can't remove the "fake" factor from my mind.

And anyway, when you look at the people who buy sports cars and supercars nowadays, they certainly don't buy them for the noise as most of these cars are pretty silent, excepted maybe a few Porsches and Lambos. Then, I don't see why these guys would install such sound mods on their electric or hybrid cars. I guess they will simply keep the original "no-sound" of the car, as most of the electric and hybrid cars owners are doing now.

If a market opens, it's probably going to be small or it would already be important nowadays with petrol cars.
    I think we need to accept that nice and loud car sounds are from the past and that there will only be shapes to admire.
    Hopefully, historic cars will still race for a long time, but modern motorsport will probably not provide loud cars anymore, you can already count them on a single hand :p

Now for racing games, this is clearly a problem. Capturing the external sound of modern race cars (rally cars too) is becoming more and more challenging. I had a perfect exemple in Silverstone with the new GT3 cars. Damn, they are so silent that you record more of the wind than the engines. The Huracan is the only exception but for how long will Lambo stand without turbo...
    I guess we will end up with silent racing games with just a small electric whine noise and some wind breath :grinning:.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  20. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    This already exists!

Back in Belgium there was this BMW event at the Mettet track. The M5 diesel throws sounds through the speakers when you're on throttle.

• Like Like x 1