Problem Can't assign arduino controller?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Lucky Chopp, Sep 30, 2022.

1. Lucky Chopp

Lucky Chopp Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Does Raceroom support arduino controllers? I have built a custom steering wheel using an arduino board, but Raceroom does not seem to recognize it. I don't have this issue with any other racing sim.

Thanks

2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    What happens if you try to bind controls?

3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yes. I've had several Arduino based wheels on the past. All shown up as normal controllers and been bindable in game.

4. Lucky Chopp

Lucky Chopp Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    When I click on the bind button and then move the wheel back and forth or move the pedals, they don't seem to be recognized at all.

5. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Wheel needs to be full inputs , click bind left turn max left repeat

Andi

6. Lucky Chopp

Lucky Chopp Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    That's not it, I've been turning to the max. Also, none of the buttons or shifters will bind either, and those are all just momentary on/off switches. Is there a controller file that I could try to manually edit to see if that would work? Again, the controller works in IRacing, RFactor 2, ACC, Assetto Corsa, Automobilista 2, and F1 2020. Doesn't make any sense why RaceRoom won't recognize it.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
  7. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
  8. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    Your current control sets are stored here as .rcs files: Documents\My games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\ControlSet
    Default control sets are stored here: Steam\SteamApps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\GameData\ControlSet
    Every control set (except for keyboard and kb/mouse) has a device ID in them somewhere in the middle, or several IDs if several devices are bound (like a wheel base, a wheel and pedals).

9. Lucky Chopp

Lucky Chopp Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    My wheel is not FFB. It's just a basic wheel with a potentiometer and 8 buttons. Never used a FFB wheel in the past either.

10. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +357 / 0 / -0
    I guess there's something wrong or unconventional with how your wheel identifies in Windows, or maybe Raceroom is picky...

I have a custom button box built on a board often called "Zero Delay Arcade USB Encoder", in Windows it identifies as "Generic USB Joystick" and the game detects it and you can bind it (funnily enough it's detected as "Raceroom wired controller"). The board itself (without all the wires) costs like 2 dollars, maybe you can buy it to do some experimenting with it. You can also mod it to enable analog inputs (by default it's all digital, on/off): https://www.instructables.com/Zero-Delay-USB-Encoder-True-Analog-Joystick-Modifi/

11. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for that link. I have a couple of those boards knocking about unused. Didn't know they could do analogue. I generally use Leo bodnar boards in my projects. Not the cheapest but very small and reliable.

• Like Like x 1