Problem certain tracks performance

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by zak55, Jun 29, 2023.

1. zak55

zak55 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    im new to RRRE and have found some tracks [ningbo as an example]
    when driving say GT3's will run literally like a slideshow,but if i drive say
    the GT3 mclaren and have only mclaren's as AI it will run silky smooth [165fps@4k]
    if i race GT3's with a mixed car AI line up at nords there is no performance issues.
    is this a known issue? i tried many different settings/resolutions with no difference.
    thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I heard about that. Do you have opponent cockpits enabled? This should be somewhere in Video settings. Also, what about car reflections?

Do you have replays saved? We can compare the grids, what GT3 cars were there. Maybe there's one particular model that causes this issue and it happened to be on your Ningbo grid but not on Nords?

3. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Can you post your Video settings? I tried GT3s at Ningbo and it was fine, same as on other tracks.

4. zak55

zak55 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i don't have the opponent cockpits enabled , reduced 1k reflections, i have tried
    various different settings with no effect.
    i used GT3's as one example , the GT4's produced the same results ...
    i think what im trying to say is that you would think a track like the Nordschleife
    would be the track to run poorly not one like ningbo.
    its just puzzling to get such a wide performance difference in the same game.
    thanks for your reply.

5. zak55

zak55 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    4k@165hz
    reduced 1k
    car shadows on
    contact shadows 6
    shadow split off
    car texture high
    rear view mirror low
    visible cars 15
    car lod distance low
    shader quality med
    particle detail high
    track detail med
    track animations on
    track texture med
    shadows low
    muliti sampling 4x [tried all settings]
    system intel 8700k @5.0G
    nvidia 4080

6. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Yup, I agree, that's a very unexpected issue. But it's also not normal or common, a pretty rare I would say. I heard about it only once, but it was exactly on Ningbo and exactly how you describe: if AI runs the same car model, it's fine, but if it runs a class that has many different car models, it causes FPS issues (I think in that case it was constant micro-stuttering). So it would've been interesting to find what causes it.

I tried the settings you listed above, but it still runs fine on my PC. I attached my graphics_options.xml, can you try it? Maybe there are some other options that cause this, that aren't in your settings list. I set resolution to 1920*1080 windowed for compatibility reasons (so that it starts fine on your PC), but I play on 3440*1440 fullscreen. This file goes here: Documents\My games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData\

Can you also attach your graphics_options.xml so that I can try it?

I'm on i7-5775c (default clock), 3070 RTX, GPU drivers 536.23, Win10 Pro 64bit. I also ran these tests on keyboard, not on my wheel.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023
  7. zak55

zak55 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks again! I will try the settings when i finish work.

8. zak55

zak55 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi Maskerader here is my graphics xml.
    i think my problem is im trying to run the game at 4k 165fps
    which works fine with the AI being the same car model , and to my
    limited knowledge the game overloads the cpu when trying to
    have say all the different GT3 cars on track.
    i read that raceroom only uses 2 cpu cores ... which if true would
    explain what im experiencing in game.

Attached Files:

9. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    While yes, this game is a single-thread program which creates some difficulties, this doesn't explain why it happened on Ningbo, but not on Nords.

And I couldn't replicate the issue using your graphics file, even when I pushed pixel count above 4k through DSR (regular one, not DL). It was smooth and always above 100 FPS (except the race start were it dipped to 90).

Not sure what to try next. Maybe @Andi Goodwin can suggest something.

A go-to advice when there are problems with the game is to verify Raceroom files on Steam and rename this folder: Documents\My games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience (any name would do, this will force the game to create a new one with all default settings). But I guess your installation is new, so it probably won't fix anything.

10. zak55

zak55 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I went away and did what you said and the first few corners in practice with 20 AI fps would drop to 30/40's
    .... so [as with most pc games one setting usually makes a big change]
    i turned off car shadows [luckily there is still a shadow unlike ACC where the cars appear to 'float']
    and bang constant fps 165 with one small drop to 148 ... so a big thank you for your help! now can play as
    the game was intended to be ... would be nice if they could implement cpu multi core usage.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Maskerader

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Very strange indeed. I had shadows on and it worked fine. But I'm glad you're happy with the game now!