Coloured brake markers - yes or no (for a newbie)?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Metalogic, Jun 2, 2016.

?

Should I use the coloured brake markers - yes or no?

1. Yes

20.8%
  2. No

79.2%
  1. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    By default R3E displays coloured brake markers for the corners, I'm aware, though, that many serious sim racers turn them off (which you couldn't originally do, but can now - though am not sure if this can be done for all tracks or not), leaving just the 100/50 markers, as on a real race track.

I'm still a newbie, though, so have left them on for now, but would it really be better to turn them off as soon as possible? If so, why? Is it going to be better in the long run to not use them? I assume you have to work out your own brake markers for different cars, so maybe they are just a distraction?

BTW I'm using "Get Real" mode, not "Novice".

2. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    They are not available for all tracks .If my memory serves me right they stopped putting them from Shanghai last summer. So,for the tracks that have them leave them.It doesnt really make that big of a difference.

3. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    Hell no! Horrible things.

But seriously, when learning the braking points for a track/car you're better off using existing brake markers and scenery/track features to determine your own visual references.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Bodaz0815

Bodaz0815 Active Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Oh my god! I hated Raceroom when the markers where forced to be shown. -> NO

I say the same that James Cook said, use the curbs or other environmental stuff to to orientate your braking point.

P.S. never use shadows :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    There's nothing to say against using them, except that all new tracks won't have them, so it might be better to get used to dealing without them.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    If they are not being added to new tracks should the option not be removed to avoid future confusion. Same as with Apex hunt and the quick chat keys?
    The options are there but not in use, unless you know they arnt active its a pain trying to get something that dosnt work to work!

7. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    HA HA HA HA have made that mistake, the horror when you move from Quali to race and get to the end of that long straight under the bridge and no braking point as some tosser moved the Sun, priceless!! :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    This is not that annoying in RaceRoom as they're not moving over duration of race. On rF or Automobilista tho... :p It can sometimes be very tempting to choose shadow as a breaking spot, because it's in perfect position, but couple of minutes later you can end up in gravel or wall :D

9. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    It helped me learn my braking points better when I started out. I have them turned off now, but I can vouch for running with them when you just start out!

Learning harder tracks like Moscow is great with the markers imho.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I always treated it like "If i run without them i'll be better long term". I'm not sure if this is true or not, just my thinking. After awhile the on track markers are easy to spot and use, along with other stuff like signs, trees, bare spots in grass (Spa turn 1) etc.

Plus the whole immersion thing - kinda breaks the illusion of reality with big multicolored signs all over the track!

11. Metalogic

Metalogic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +234 / 0 / -0
    I'm inclined to agree, I turned them off after the earlier feedback

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1