Considering triple screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fleskebacon, Jan 27, 2016.

1. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    yeah it needs Pascal (we are just working on sample code for that feature, mostly for VR so)

However be aware that this feature may not magically work with any game. For example you may notice that after the "correction" you really see more on the sides than before. If the game is not sending this information due to CPU-based frustum culling (which is most likely and typically a good thing), then you would have errors on the side, missing objects/popping... So it's more of a developer feature to make use of so one can avoid sending the scene for each view independently for rendering. Compared to previous approaches for example doing this via instancing, you save on vertex transforms.

2. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I am pretty sure it will only be for the owners of the new GTX's.
    But as Assetto Corsa manages to give us full & decent triple screen support, I guess Sector 3 is able to do the same thing, even if it is for a minority of users that have triple screen setups.
    At least I keep my hopes up. The difference between proper triple support and what we have now is simply huge...

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
  3. Jeneric

Jeneric Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Racing with triple 40inch Samsung TV's with 2 x 980ti Amp Extreme cards in SLI. My only advice is, try to get the biggest screens you can afford. Personally, I wound not bother with displays of 24 inches and under, as I find these to be just too small to create a truly immersive experience. I would rather opt for a single big screen, like a 55+ inch TV than go for 3 small monitors, but hey that's just me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    It may be personal but one big screen does not give the immersion and view of triple screens, even smaller ones. That is, if you set them up like they should be: as close to the wheel as possible and well angled. The single TV (whatever size) can only show the same image as the one you have on your center monitor, be it enlarged.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Alex Bonner

Alex Bonner Active Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Agree. Having 3 X 23" monitors sitting just behind your wheel maybe 750mm from your face works just perfect. Your get the crisp graphics of a small monitor and they are so close to your face your peripheral vision is filled. I think ideally 3 X 23" curved 1440 is the sweet spot but R3E really needs better SLI/ Crossfire support to run high FPS so 1080 is better for now.

6. Jeneric

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Hmmm, for me that's the issue. Sitting in front of triple 23 inch monitors, no matter how close l am, never seems truly immersive to me. It feels akin to watching a movie on a phone or tablet, which is being held a few inches from your face and expecting it to feel like you're in a cinema, just because the display fills up your peripheral vision. The thing is, our brains do not work like that (at least mine doesn't), it just thinks, I'm viewing a very small object from close up, rather than a large object from some distance away. I first noticed this at the Gadget Show expo ( I know, forgive me) a few years ago, when l had a go on P Cars running on small triple screens. It just did not feel immersive to me. Also, my peripheral vision wasn't completely taken up my the game, even though my seating position felt uncomfortably close to the screens. This is why for me, a single much bigger screen, would be the preferable option.

Regarding bigger displays when using triples. Bigger screens allow far greater choice when configuring FOV. l play with a low FOV, which minimises outer screen stretching, while ensuring everything still looks life size. This kind of few is impossible using smaller screens. Take a look at the video below for an example. I can sit a little away from the screens, while still getting a realistic life size view, which covers my peripheral vision. Everything just looks and feels more natural this way.

These are just my thoughts of course. You and many others here, are or will be perfectly happy with smaller triples, but for some, going larger will offer greater immersion.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  7. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I am not saying larger triples could not be better (as long as their quality is high enough to be able to put them close to your eyes).
    I have triple 144Hz BENQ's in 27"... could have gone for 32", but any triple setup is imo much better than one large one...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Alex Bonner

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Looks real good. AC has real good triple screen support along with iracing. Fingers crossed we'll have some adjustment 1 day.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Jeneric

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    We can but hope:)

10. Jeneric

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    Fair enough. Think 27 inch screens are well good enough in a triple monitor setup.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. switchface

switchface Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    According to the devs, it doesnt sound like triple screen support is on the horizon.

However, did the introduction of the GTX 1080 just solve this?

There's also Simultaneous Multi-Projection, a new hardware rendering pipeline for Pascal cards (so no, it's not coming to Maxwell) that allows them to render 16 independent "viewpoints" in a single rendering pass. On a regular graphics card, a single viewpoint—i.e. what a user sees on a monitor—is rendered in one pass. That's fine for most applications, but problems occur with multi-monitor setups and VR. In a triple-monitor setup where a user curves the monitors, the graphics card can only render a single viewpoint. It assumes all the monitors are arranged in a straight line, resulting in the images on the left and right monitors looking warped.

12. Brian Himmelman

Brian Himmelman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Strongly recommend G-Sync ... Butter smooth frame rates ... Incredible over 90 FPS

13. Alex Bonner

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    Yep Prof were gutted.

Also the people that have just brought the Rift are shit out of luck also as SLI dont seem to work for them either.

Use Nvidia Inspector.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I agree with this, having gone from 3x24, to 1x40", then to 3x40". The 3x24 was my least favorite. At least with the 1x40, i could set my view to look like I was actually in the car. It just felt much more lifelike than 3 smaller monitors, which I ran and enjoyed for a very long time before ever going to the 40".

Of course, the first time i fired up the 3x40" monitors with my sim racing seat, I literally laughed out loud it was so good and lifelike. And you can get 40" monitors for $200 these days new. The bigger issue is mounting them, so i just made a homemade table type mount.

I'd recommend first a single 40" or bigger, and then two more when you can afford, or see if you can find 3 used ones - probably could land 3 for $400 if you really tried. If you go 24", it will be good enough, but you'll wish they were bigger and you will not easily get the effect of lining up real world devices with on screen action - which is where things really start getting immersive. Of course if you have space limitations, my whole post is moot!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MrTay.

MrTay. Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    I'm with ElNino. I too use 3x40" screens and I couldn't go down to one. With that size of view and the position of my race rig, choosing nose view instead of bonnet/hood or cockpit, it actually mimics real life driving really closely.
    Since playing RR i've noticed alot of my real life driving habits, one notably being when i look through the windscreen/shield i can neither see the entire bonnet/hood or take much notice of the side pillars inside the car.
    Coupled with a 5.5" Android screen and DashMeterPro that sits directly infront of the screen and not up by the wheel it's a pretty good set-up or at least one that suits me.
    I'm in a debatably fortunate position of being middle aged with no wife or kids and a fairly decent job in engineering.
    If you can afford the triples and are reasonably serious about sim racing then it's a good way to go.
    The only trouble you might have is friends queuing up at the door to have a go. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sean Lander

Sean Lander Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +65 / 0 / -0
    With the onset of VR I think the time for Sector 3 to work on triple screen support is now past.
    Hopefully they will put some effort into this technology as I reckon it will become huge with the sim racing community.

As to immersion. I like it but what I love most about triples is being able to look at the apex before it arrives dead in front of my vehicle. The hairpin at Suzuka for example. 1 screen no matter what size it is will cut it.

17. Fanapryde

Ratings:
    +410 / 0 / -0
    I sincerely hope you are wrong here...
    It is not as if VR is now THE way to go all of a sudden. I for one totally don't care. Tried it once and I know for sure I will never use it to drive several hours with that thing on my head, even if it ever gets better.
    At this moment AC has triple support implemented and pCars2 will have it too, that would leave R3E behind.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    That's about my feeling on it. It's a fantastic experience I'd like to have for the odd session, but I could never willingly give up my triple screens for it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. switchface

switchface Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, a fun thing to have, but not what I want all the time. I think a few years down the line when the resolution and response rate is so dramatically improved that VR will be something to see. But, I am not ditching my triple 40" projector screens anytime soon.

One thing I don't like when watching VR vids is the need to look somewhere to see. For example, if I think a guy is along side of me, I have to look that way, which means I can't see ahead of me anymore. On my triples, I can see out of the corner of my eye if the person is along side of me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Yes, and also just having the real life cockpit around me I love. I enjoy the hobby of making it better.

And I can sip my coffee....:D

• Agree Agree x 1