Could SteamOS be "a thing"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by keanos, Apr 14, 2023.

Tags:
  1. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    As a read on the german PCGH during the last days, maybe the SteamOS 3.5 will released for the public. Actually the 3rd Version of SteamOS is onlöy used officially with the Steamdeck.

Of course there are already ways to use it on normal compüuters and notebooks. Did anyone of you already tried it?

@J-F Chardon @Georg Ortner With an official public release, could this be an option for KW Studios?

2. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    PCGH is great but if I remember right then the Steam OS is a variant of Linux.
    And because most of the games on Steam is created to fit/run on Windows then I consider it rather impossible that they without HUGE changes suddenly will be able to run on another OS.

ByTheWay: It would be great if Im wrong here.:D

3. Rowan Unning

Rowan Unning Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    simracing branch does not seems inclined toward Linux in general.

but i could be wrong.

there's kinda silent gradation about resources a software house (in general) can or want to invest on small percentage linux user base (2-5% of tot averagely).

1. both yes (more easy if OpenGL has been used).
    2. linux game no + linux servers yes ( more easy )
    3. linux game no + linux servers no

Unreal Engine and Unity can both compile Linux, but probably performances cant be granted for both ( depends on linux drivers implementation by GPU manufacters ).

simrigs peripherals also are not all natively recognized by Linux (adds a decisional weight too probably)

but this was true in the past, at least.

P.S: with "Steam Proton" works very well

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
  4. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Many nativ Windows Games already work fine on the Steam Deck.

5. DonaldD

DonaldD Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    It could be fu** great if I could run my favorite racing sim on this Steam Deck/OS because Im only forced to update my Win7 because Steam are spoiling anybody gaming from the Win7 platform from 1.1.2024:mad:

6. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Always fall on the same problems drivers....
    Quite a few ppl are running the steam os/proton variante , but not all wheels pedals etc do have linux drivers or workarounds

Andi

7. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Let's see what happens if they really release the steamOS3 for a Public Release outside of the SteamDeck.