Couple of AI queries

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Feb 1, 2017.

1. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Hi, being used to the rfactor series I'm familiar with editing files to suit but it appears the player.plr is encrypted in raceroom, so these are probably not possible but I wonder if I can alter the AI Spread & AI Mistakes parameters somewhere else?

I'm finding the Spread too much for short races (WTCC & GT3) and the mistakes are not frequent enough for my own level of driving, thanks :)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  2. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I hear ya on that.

Thread https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/the-new-adaptive-ai.5013/ is really worth looking at; Cheerfully Insane has done a lot of testing on setting up the adaptive AI, and it really changes the feeling of races. (As for spread, CI posted a video of three laps of AAI at the Nordy and the spread from first to last was 10 seconds. Too close for my thinking, as one proper mistake from me would see me trailing the field. And yes, I know what the answer to that is....)

But more mistakes would be good too, kinda like being in amateur hour at the local track (if you live near Spa or Silverstone........). Lower levels of Motor Racing (grass roots) is full of fast, inconsistent drivers - I would like to replicate that.

So I haven't answered your question, but at least the thread has been bumped. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  3. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Well, the video showed a single-make race (TT RS), which will inevitably result in closer races than something like GT3s, WTCCs or other multi-car classes.
    Racing GT3s for example will slowly but surely see the cars less suited to that track fall behind. Well, those and the P4/5 which always lags behind no matter what the track. :p

That aside, I seriously doubt you'll be able to edit anything. I haven't looked into it myself (I'd probably screw something up :D ), but the general rule with R3E is that unless it's data collated directly from the races (AI levels and race-results) it's probably encrypted.
    On the other hand, when using adaptive AI it'll base its pace on the last ten laps you did on that particular combo.
    So if you screw up once or twice, the AI level will simply be lowered, enabling you to catch up with the grid again.
    Or at least that's the theory. ;)

4. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    for me this would be like turning up at a race meet and voting people off the grid so you could do better

for me personally you turn up you take your chances against the field that is there ; i never run adaptive as i find its quicker for me to use a fixed % ; and i set it so i struggle ; after a few races you get better until that glorius day , when you pass the checkered flag first , wooping and looking in your mirror to see the Ai recovering from the spin you may have helped him with

Andi

5. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152 / 0 / -0
    Which is fine, if your goal is to win* or improve.
    My goal is to have close, exciting racing, and sometimes I will 'soldier on' in the hope that the driver in front will bin it and gift me the win. (Sympathy sex is still sex!)

Our shared (and probably primary) goal is to have fun.

And we don't want to vote people off the track, maybe just shoot the better drivers in the leg, or poke them in the eye......

* win against the odds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies guys :)

The problem with a set Spread & Mistakes is exactly that, it's set to one parameter. Everyone is different when it comes to racing and the ability to tailor the AI closer to your own level is a feature that really should be present in every race sim, RF1 and RF2 did it perfectly, Automobilista is good and AC is "getting there" slowly. But what I see with RRE currently is a brick wall stopping you from getting the AI to a better suited design for your own racing. Sure the Adaptive may well make the lap times similar to yours and I can see the benefits (from what little I've read) from it, but we need more options to tailor the AI to own own liking. Just a couple of sliders in game (I detest anything in plr/ini files these days!) will do the job just fine and make the process quick & easy, everyone is different so having the AI follow a very strict set of guidelines will not work.

For prime example with RF2 and BTCC I have High Aggression, AI Spread to suit each track and High Mistakes which makes it very much like real life, for GT racing I tone certain settings down, that's the freedom of tailoring the AI to suit and I believe RRE needs this.
    I'm away from my rig so can't check but do the AI in RRE use Talent Files? If so are we able to edit them as well? as that's another massive part of the freedom of creating a realistic AI environment.

Incidentally I haven't had time to check out the Adaptive AI properly yet, barely getting enough time for a single 20min race of an evening but I will look into it one day :)

7. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    It does, in some way, shape or form. Or at least, it's always the same AI drivers that end up qualifying in the top 10.
    And yes, those files are encrypted too. ;)

Swings and round-abouts. What you're describing is perfect IF you know what settings you need for each class, and which AI level to set for each track. For someone like myself who race whatever takes my fancy that day, it's impossible to remember everything.
    If I had to fiddle with AI levels, AI spread and AI aggression, I'd never get any actual racing done.
    With the way R3E is right now, you can pretty much jump in and go. And if you use adaptive, you don't even have to remember which AI levels you need for each combo.
    I mean, I get that people would like to tailor their experience to suit what they expect it should be.
    But there is something to be said for simplicity as well.

And when that happens, you up the level again.
    So in other words, you're using adaptive, you're just doing it manually. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    But that's the choice you have, you don't have to mess with Spread or Mistakes if you don't want too, just leave them at default and carry on enjoying them as you wish. I'm merely asking if there is a way or could Sector3 please introduce a way of having these Options for those of us who like to tailor the AI more to our own liking.
    Don't get me wrong I'm not finding massive faults with the AI either, they are very impressive and certainly up there with the best in the business, I'm simply asking for the ability to alter them to enhance the individual experience :)

9. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    anyway its not possible at present due to the protected files

Andi

10. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Thank you

11. Paul Bennett

Paul Bennett New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Have n't played for a while since the update, the AI racing maybe better but their's still pushing an bumping with the DTM's 16

12. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Also noticed it yesterday. I did a race on Bathurst with GTR3 and AI set to 115 couple of days ago and it was fine racing. I also did it yesterday with AI set to 120 and it was impossible to overtake AI. I was pushed out of circuit everytime i took inside line. And it's not like I tried some risky maneuvers on top of mountain - it was mostly in The Chase and i was side-by-side with them already on a kink.

13. MarcG

MarcG Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    Their line through The Chase is totally wrong so that may cause problems in that section, I have reported it in the relevant AI Bug thread so hope it gets a fix one day (soon!).

For all it's good parts I'm slowly seeing more good but also more...how should I say..."not ideal" AI behaviour, I'm currently limited to 20min races due to lack of time and one main thing I'm noticing is the AIs lap times drop off too much in the final 5minutes. I'm easily passing 2 or 3 late on, now there's nothing wrong with that in a sense that of course it mirrors real life to some degree, but it's happening every race which is as above is "not ideal". I have normal Fuel & Tire wear so it's not like that should have a major effect on their closing lap times, maybe there's other forces at play.
    Another slight annoyance is the AIs remarkable grip when on the grass, instead of going spinning out of control it's like they find a magically path and suddenly re-enter the track without the problems a Human driver would have.

Aside from a few issues as every AI in every Race Sim has I have been thoroughly enjoying my 20minute blasts against them, hoping to get a long race in tomorrow :)

• Like Like x 1