Question Curious about what PC specs used for RRE

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Actually James, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Actually James

Actually James New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I am a bit of a scrooge when it comes to hardware. Currently running a really old rig, AMD Phenom II 960T, 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM and a radeon R9 280 graphics card. This seems to run ok, but races are a write off if there's more than about 5 cars or so, I've attempted races where there are 24 cars on the grid, and it stutters pretty badly.

So, what are you using? Do you get good fps with a lot of cards on screen? Are the RRE minimum/recommended specs realistic?

2. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Your GPU is okay. Your CPU might be a problem, but it doesn't look like it should be a reason for such a big FPS drop. My guess would be there's something else going on. Turn off time progression, run a race in a one-make class (like the free Aquila CR1 cup) and see if anything changes.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  3. Actually James

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Cheers @Maskerader :) will give that a go. Currently having a blast since I got my rumblepad to finally not go to 100% throttle/brake at only 50% travel. So enjoying just hotlapping and not having constant issues with guessing where 100% is anymore :)

Will see if those changes have an effect, it wasn't in multiplayer from memory, more like a single event with bots, which is easy to reproduce, so when I have a chance I'll see if that helps.

Cheers for replying ;)

4. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, RaceRoom needs a good CPU. With my specs, see my signature, I can run almost all maxed out in 7800*1440 with 60fps.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Actually James

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Depends what monitor you are running really. My PC is low spec in gaming terms but handles raceroom at mostly high settings, 60fps, 1080p. Multiplayer is no problem at all but AI uses lots of CPU so that's the limiting factor for most people. I can run a grid of 16 cars (15 AI) with no slowdown at all and I can run bigger grids but do get some frame drops at the start of the race when all the cars are bunched up.

I'm running on an i5 3740, Nvidia 1050ti 4 GB, 8GB RAM.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Actually James

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    @ravey1981 It sounds/feels like AI might be the issue, dunno, I'd have to test. I was in a lobby today and found that there were quite a few cars in there and it was fine. Though the ping time was atrocious and cars kept sort of jittering about. I am in Australia so unless there is an Aussie server running a race, we're usually either kicked out or just getting very jumpy updates on pos/vel of other cars. All quite funny to watch, but probably not great for wheel to wheel racing.

8. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It's definitely AI that slows everything down. Raceroom is on an old engine that only runs on one CPU core. As soon as you add AI that's more calculations to process and as soon as you start maxing the CPU everything slows down, a lot. It's a limitation of the current game engine.

Things that have the most impact on FPS are AI, shadows and reflections.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Michael L

Michael L Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I'm running a lowly 4th gen i7-4790 3.6 Ghz and an obsolete GX745 gpu card and raceroom is the only game I can run 15 AI @100fps. Assetto Corsa runs @25 fps with only 5 AI. RF2 was unplayable. Needles to say, I absolutely love raceroom :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. i54lgueiro

i54lgueiro New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm using a Xeon E5-2678 v3 CPU and a RX 560 AMD GPU. It runs and looks fine at 1080 using whatever default options R3E has. 60fps IIRC.

11. Actually James

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @i54lgueiro :) wow, so far everyone seems to have more modern hardware than I, maybe time to upgrade, or just race in multiplayer lobbies maybe xD

Last time I did have race in the multiplayer sessions I spun round on lap one. so maybe some more practice is required before I make a regular appearance there!

12. Actually James

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Like the comparison with other race sims, always was curious about Rfactor as I really liked the idea/look of their tyre model. Shame its a bit of a hardware hog.