Cutting corners

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dante3003, Sep 14, 2017.

1. dante3003

dante3003 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ok, I see that the prevention of corner cutting is quite important.
    Problem is, that if you spin (or get spun), facing the wrong way off the track, standing still, swearing...and you then try to get back on the track this message of "you cut the corner mate" pops up. It's hardly a cut when you already lost 10secs...
    Is there a possibility to change the variables that the game recognizes if you gain an advantage from cutting vs. getting back on track after losing a big chunk of time?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Simon Fillingham

Simon Fillingham Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    That's really a problem for you? o_O
    A cut is a cut whether you lose time / gain time / intentional / unintentional.

The game already recognises this. If you gain advantage you'll get a penalty (if enabled). If you're staggering back on to track (lost time) you won't get a penalty.

3. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Yup, you only get a penalty of you gained time. Otherwise its just an off track warning. I don't see anything wrong with that.

4. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    It's not that perfect. There are cases where you lose time and get a penalty too.
    An example I already posted on RRLeagues forum, this guy is pushed from back, do a cut but lose lot of time at the end, and get a Drive Through penalty. :D

Before to give the penalty, the game could wait more. Maybe wait for the driver back on the racing line + some seconds, or wait for the next turn, and check how much time he gained on this track section... Dunno exactly, but maybe there's some possible improvements.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  5. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    Id like to see an option slider added to the menus allowing you to set up the number of track violations before being issued a drive through penalty.
    Ex. 1-3

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. dante3003

dante3003 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    This one exactly. Just got dq'ed on the NUrburgring GP.
    1st: I got pushed at the start, ran wide in turn 1, lost about 5 places and got a warning.
    2nd: I locked the wheels, ran wide into the chicane, nearly spun, lost about 3secs and got a warning.
    3rd: I got pushed in traffic, spun in turn 3 lost a ton of time, last warning.
    4th: dq after getting pushed wide again because of excessive cutting.

At none of theses events did I gain anything and wouldn't have been warned once in an actual race. The game though does not distinguish between an actual corner cut that gains you time (that can happen of course) and events that have nothing to do with it.
    It isn't an easy task, I understand that, but I bet there is a way to include delta times into the decision making process.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Simon Fillingham

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    im 99.9% certain that warnings are not accumulative towards getting a DT or SnG cut penalty.

im talking about the DT & SnG cut track penalty here....

you can cut the track (exceed TL) as many times as you like. if you dont gain time (more than 0.5 sec (used to be 0.1 sec before last update)) during these cuts you will get a WARNING. you can get warnings all day long without consequence. they do not accumulate (add up) and after a certain amount (general misconception seems to be 3) you get a DT penalty.

the moment you gain more than 0.5 sec from being off track (compared to what the AI would cover the same amount of distance on track) you will receive a DT penalty, regardless of how it happened.

I'm not certain on this bit, but i presume the only way you can get a DQ with the DT cut track penalty rule is to accumulate too many DT penalties before driving in to the pits to perform your penalty. However, according to your list of events you only received 1 x DT penalty. So this is puzzling.

Maybe a dev could clear this up? And also, is the same grace (0.5 sec) given when the SLOW DOWN cut track penalties are being used?

8. dante3003

dante3003 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Hmm...I did not get any penalties at all. Maybe I need to test this further.
    As far as I remember I set the slow down prnalty as well as the dq from to late penalties.
    But in the race I described above all I got were warnings (black/white flag) and the "keep it between the lines" from Crew Chief until I got the black flag.
    So either it's x times warning lead to dq or I somehow did not get any notification about a penalty which then led to the dq.

9. dante3003

dante3003 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    ok, I think there is something wrong with the settings I use.

Hungaroring GT3 race, everything is fine, no warnings nothing, I am in the lead. One lap after the mandatory pit stop, I break too late for turn one, go deep, the expected warning pops up (totally right this time) and bam I am disqualified... First incident of the race and I am out.

10. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps if it is possible, try getting a video clip of this to show the issue. This sounds rather weird and doesnt really make sense.

If you cant get a video clip, I believe you can attach a replay file and we could check it out.

11. dante3003

dante3003 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Now the DQ train is hitting me hard.
    I'll try to get the replay on.
    This time right after the start in Oschersleben.
    I'm on pole, leading into the tripple corners, spinning right at the end sliding sideways across the track and get DQ for excessive cutting again.

12. dante3003

dante3003 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    There you go.

Active are Slow Down Penalty and DQ for late penalties.
    30min race, so it's not about a late penalty
    I am on the breaks for the whole mess of an ending, so I was obviously slowing down.

Reason for DQ was "Excessive Corner Cutting".

13. Simon Fillingham

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    and DQ for late penalties? what is that?

14. dante3003

dante3003 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I'd take a wild guess and say that you get DQed if there isn't enough time to set a penalty. But I think this is flawed big time, so I am not going to use it anymore.

15. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    DQ for late penalties means you will get disqualified if you have a drive through penalty (or similar) and don't serve it before the race session is over.

Not 100% sure what triggers the Excessive Cutting DQ but I am 100% sure it's not supposed to happen with the slight cut in that video. I've noticed cut track detection not behaving as it should but it's been minor stuff and edge cases. This isn't all that minor though so I'll look into it some today pester a programmer to look into it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1