Difference between Camera Shift Up/Down and Camera Perspective Up/Down?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VFX Pro, Jan 30, 2022.

Tags:
  1. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I'm trying to adjust the camera up/down in the cars, but it appears my up/down angle selection affects all cars instead of current cars.

Can anyone know the difference between the Camera Shift Up/Down setting and Camera Perspective Up/Down setting. Unlike the setup menu where each setting is carefully explained, there is no explanation for this setting.

2. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I think with the camera perspective up/down you are not changing the point where the camera is placed to render an image, you are just moving the flat plane around. Imagine if you took the screenshot from a camera sitting very low, and then moved the screenshot up the screen. You'd have the image sitting higher up, but you'd still have a trouble looking over the bonnet, because the camera position wouldn't actually change.

Generally I think the usability of camera perspective options is limited to some very fringe screen setups, in normal conditions you can just ignore it. Personally I am adjusting the seat up/down/forward/backward options to adjust the camera, I've never touched other options.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Good explanation. Thank you. At least knowing how the perspective now works, I was able to center some dashboard correctly with my real-life wheel.

4. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Yes, perspective shift up/down simply moves what area of the frame is rendered/shown, while everything else remains the same - camera position, camera angles, etc. You can see it yourself if you make two screenshots with different perspective shift and superimpose them in Photoshop with half opacity.

• Informative Informative x 1