Discounts for buying content directly vs Steam wallet?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DriftMachine, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Errr, which one are we talking about now?
    raceroomstore.com? Nope.

2. DriftMachine

DriftMachine Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +72 / 0 / -0
  3. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    No, not possible.
    But you can buy vRP at raceroomstore.com, gift the code you receive to somebody and they can redeem it in their account to buy the content in-game themselves, that would also leave steam out of the transaction.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, my point was it is priced in euros and dollars, the same item on the same server, if you are European you are paying near 10% more.
    I have bought software previously in Dollars, Euros and Pounds even buying on Ebay, Paypal has no issue with it, im not in a position financially to worry about financing the devs the priority for me if i have a little i want to spend is to be able to maximise the return on it.

5. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    We used to be able to buy vRP packs directly from the in-game menus which allowed you to make the transaction in different currencies. My trick was to buy in Russian Roubles because the conversion to GBP was very favourable indeed. For whatever reason vRP was significantly cheaper in Roubles. Naturally, Raceroom put a stop to this.

Similarly, you can buy EA games more cheaply by logging into Origin Mexico or Russia using a VPN. Not sure if the same thing can be done with Raceroom.

7. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    If you happen to know a trustworthy person in the US (unlikely, I know :p ) you can of course ask him to buy the code for you. The codes aren't region-locked afaik.
    Then all you have to do is not pay that person back and tada, cheapest vRP ever. :D

Disclaimer: This statement might contain passages of humoristic nature.

• Like Like x 1
  8. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    That is also a way of getting cheaper vRP. Logging into the Raceroom store using a US proxy *should* be simpler, though.

In the end, if companies are offering digital products cheaper in other regions then you have to play the game to get the best price.

9. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    in europe we have 20% tva /vat sales tax , in america they dont .....

Andi

10. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    All fair points, i guess when the exchange rate changes in my favour i wont be complaining then either, swings n roundabouts.

• Like Like x 1