Does anyone drift?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Auzzie, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Auzzie

Auzzie New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am still fairly new to this game and I haven't found that much about drifting in this game. I have started trying and I think I am off to a good start but I need to practice more to be able to go into detail about it. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried or actively drifts in this game. And I know that it is not the fastest way around corners and that this game is meant for grip racing but I enjoy trying. (Makes me feel more skilled then I actually am.)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    I don't think the mechanics support drifting very much, or designed for it. I've never actively tried to slide- rather to avoid it, but I think you'll mostly either have grip or spin out. Not so much drift.

3. Auzzie

Auzzie New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I am thinking that you are correct although with some tuning in the menu I can do little slides successfully although I wouldn't quite call it drifting because 80% of the time I have to completely let off the throttle to keep from spinning.

4. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Not that I do try it that often but I had some fun with the Audi 90 Quattro ;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Auzzie

Auzzie New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Nice!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Squanchy

Squanchy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    Well, I stand corrected. Nice drifting.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    The physics of this sim in general are designed towards being very grippy, probably grippier than the real thing, which makes the driving more enjoyable for a bigger bunch of customers and "ordinary" (=non-drifting) drivers. Grippiness and sliding however do not go well together, so in RR you will in general see a sliding behaviour that in most cars will lag behind hopes or expectations.

Personally I do not cry over this, since I am not into drifting at all. For drift fans, there are better titles on the market. Its not the focus of RR, and the series and cars included also show that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Since some days I practice drift in R3E. I thought about opening a drift topic to share my R3E tips and talk with other drifters. :)

To resume it:

** Start with the Audi Quattro from DTM 92, it's really easy and satisfying to drift this car. It's a good start to feel the drift feeling and manage it. Unfortunately this car lacks of power for drift (power is shared on 4 wheels), so you can't really hold your drift speed unless you're with 1st or maybe 2nd gear. But you can do crazy countersteerings at any speed.

** Global setup for drift: lower front suspension, raise rear suspension, front camber between -3 to -4, rear camber -1 or close. Then try softer or harder suspensions, rear or front, I don't know what is good, I test and try to feel the difference. In car steering settings, set the angle to maximum (usually 40 for this cars).

** FFB setup:

- With Audi Quattro, if you never know when to stop the wheel when doing big countersteerings, you can set R3E Damper and Spring to a value from 3 to 6 (maybe adjust to your wheel, mine is TC-PC Racer), your wheel driver must have this 2 options enabled to 100%. It will help you to manage big countersteerings cause the wheel forces will be smoother on high angles. When you feel it better, you can set back the values to 0 and continue practicing.

- I recently found that setting Vertical and Understeering forces to zero helps me a lot while drifting the Opel Omega from DTM 92. I better feel when to hold the drift and when to release it. So I created a second profile in R3E for drift only. Maybe I will enable this forces later for drift, but actually I have better success without them.

** When you can drift each turn of the Nordschleife with the Quattro :p, you can try a harder driftable car. I find the Opel Omega DTM 92 is the best RWD for this, but I didn't try all the R3E cars. You can really drift it, managing throttle while holding countersteering, but it's hard and when the grip comes back by surprise it can be violent. :D Suzuka East is a good track to start with this car.

Touring cars are also driftable but actually I had not enough success with them to talk about.

Later I'll share my car and FFB setups, if this can help you starting with drift, and maybe they can also be improved by good setup guys... :)
    I'd like to do a drift video too, maybe first with the Quattro then with the Opel... :rolleyes:

Note : Sometimes I open a server called "DRIFT PRACTICE", if you see it in server brower you'll find me on it ^^. Actually I set Suzuka East, there's other good tracks to drift but not every player owns every track... :(

Nice one! :)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  9. ChatCureuil

ChatCureuil Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +308 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    I uploaded a video in which I practice drift and show the wheel.
    I first planned to do a drift movie but find I'm not good enough actually. And I didn't train since this video, too much drift has caused a little pain in my back. ^^

Other car is an AI level 98% from which I planned to take some camera shots. AI is also gentle enough to help me sync both videos by hitting me in pit lane. :)

Looking this video I found that I don't manage the wheel the same way on left and right curves (hands act different), I should fix this. :)
    I like some drifts, when I manage throttle good enough to hold the drift on the whole curve.
    This is still a beginner video, but 2 weeks before this recording I was crashing in every turn. :D

I join the FFB profile I use for drift only, and the Opel Omega drift setup. I'm bad at setup so I'm sure there's better to do. I also set the steering lock to 40 in steering options of this car (not sure it's included in the setup file).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  10. Soddyn

Soddyn Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    The GR5 Corvette is the easiest to drift imo, you just need a little throttle control to make it slide.
    Here's me playing around silverstone, i made no changes to the setup

• Like Like x 1