Does someone understand the SRS ranking system?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alexander Asner, May 11, 2018.

1. Alexander Asner

Alexander Asner Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    I do not get it it seems. I started racing with SMS just a few days ago and so far I have 6 races.
    1.The first race I did not finish or not even start to be more precise due to technical problems.
    2. The 2nd race I won with one incident but only 2 participants.
    3. The 3rd race I finished 7th out of 11 with 2 incidents.
    4. The 4th race I finished 2nd out of 3 with 0 incidents.
    5. The 5th race I finished 3rd out of 5 with one incident.
    6. The 6th race I finished 2nd out of 4 with 0 incidents.

All that sums up to a rating of 74.845 which did change only after the comma during the last 3 races.
    Is it a fact that races with less than 6 participants do not count against your rating? Then why did it change behind the comma. Why does my rating not improve?

BTW the "incidents" were basically all me hitting someone or a group of cars spinning or hitting each other in front of me or what the "Crew Chief" would call turmoil cluster fuck.

2. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I don't think anybody really understands the ranking, but you are correct about needing 7 drivers.
    The system does seem to work correctly once you get to 40+ races. I does seem odd at first when you see drivers with a 400 driver rating and a 4.5 incident average being scored ahead of ahead of somebody with a 380 drivers rating and a 1 incident rating. Once you get to around 500 for drivers rating, you get matched to servers that have good quality racers and the safety ratings start to look correct.

My best guess on penalties is that you don't loose points for not being able to connect after an update, but you do if leaving the "race" session.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  3. Alexander Asner

Alexander Asner Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, well I entered the session but my VR picture was all blurry. I had the -vr and the SS in SRS as well as in Steam and that messed up everything.
    Anyway I only drive the M235i at this time as it is the only car I feel proficient enough to compete and you hardly get more than 5 drivers in one race currently. It is not exactly crowded.
    Well, I guess I will just accept it for what it is and have fun instead of hunting a rating.

4. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Yes, need to drive with more folks.
    In general a rating system is pointless if you cannot fill 2-3 servers for a single race. Imo first season had more popular content (or maybe because srs was new) but lately it's rather thin.

I am not sure how S3S will attack the content issue either. On the other competitions cycle as well a bit and they got better stats about content distribution. So they can give every season a series that they know is popular.

• Agree Agree x 1