DOTA 2 International

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cosmic, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Did anyone happen to catch any of the DOTA International this past weekend?

I've never played a MOBA and had no idea what DOTA was all about but I decided to click on the Steam link for the live feed and to my surprise I was blown away. I know competitive game has grown immensely over the years but I just had no idea.
    They had an arena for the event which looked sold out, I think I heard them say they had ~17,000 people. They had teams flown in from all over the world. They commentating, analysts and overall production was well done. And they had something like $18 million in prize money at stake!
    Anyway I woke up last Sunday, grabbed my coffee, and then spent the next 7 hours watching a competition for a game I don't even know how to play! LOL

So for the past few days I've been wondering, is there any Sim Racing equivalent to this event?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    I didnĀ“t even know what DOTA is, till one minute ago that I saw your post and googled it. :confused:

3. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    I've played Dota 2 for a bit in the past... my steam account says 670hrs (not much compared to serious racers here!)
    It's a really tough game with an embarrassing learning curve and it's VERY hard to master
    Battles are intense and there's this persistent anxiety that pervades the game until the very end... or at least when you start getting beat down like a burger. :D
    I've dropped it cause of caustic a-holes playing and honestly... I was making 2.30am almost every night.
    If you handle the initial frustration then by the time you realize you've fallen into a spiral you'll most likely be around 700hrs spent in that game
    BE CAREFUL! :fearscream::fearscream:

Especially when Pudge's around.

4. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I think I put around that many hours into Warframe recently, then out of the blue I hit a big wall of burn out.
    I really have no interest in playing DOTA. I used to play Unreal Tournament competitively a long time ago and it's just too time consuming to play at that level.
    It was entertaining to watch though and I'll probably watch the DOTA International again next year.

Would be super cool if there was a major sim racing event like it.

BTW - I was watching Gamespots review for Blizzards "Heroes of the Storm" and it said that game has cross-team chat disabled, maybe because of caustic a-holes? :)