Driving view?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Oops01, Aug 12, 2023.

1. Oops01

Oops01 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, I was wondering what driving view everyone uses when driving, personally because I only race in VR, I use the in-car view but what about you all?

2. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    For me its cockpit view 99.9% of the time, the other 0.1% is in chase cam either to hear the external sound of a car that im test driving or occasionally just admiring my car on the döttinger höhe looking at it from the front or the side :D

• Like Like x 2
  3. S-AMG

S-AMG Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Cockpit view 100% ;)

4. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    cockpit in vr, outside for some testing

5. simbro

simbro New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    100% cockpit view!
    I've never figured out how to drive a real car from outside the cockpit so anything else is 'unreal'....

• Like Like x 2
  6. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Basically everyone in sim racing is driving in cockpit view. In vr especially everything else is imo impossible.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Would not at all be surprised if a lot of single monitor drivers actually use hood cam or maybe even chase cam. Think when i first got a wheel for gt6 i mightve also still used chase cam for a bit before making the switch :D

8. Muca

Muca Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I started sim racing on a beamer, a playseat challenge and a T500. Good times. I used hood cam like I always did with NFS and F1 games. But with hood cam you cannot feel the rotation of a car that well. So probably cockpit cam is the fastest, the hood cam is too far forward.

9. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Never observed those differences regarding rotation but they may well exist, but then again cockpit probably offers the worst visibility out of all which on a small screen can get quite problematic as well. But lets not take this tooo far off topic and just say they all have their pros and cons and everybody has to figure out which one they prefer :D

10. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Cockpit cam on a wheel, chase cam on keyboard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Same for me, but it also depends on the car and the game - chase cam in RRE is exceptionally good. I find cockpit view works better in single seaters but with touring cars you get a better perception of where other vehicles are, especially track blockages ahead. That´s also a reason I turn off smoke particles when in MP mode as often you can´t avoid other cars as easily due to being blinded by the smoke or dust.

12. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Hood cam on 4K tv and cockpit in VR

13. Oops01

Oops01 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Good to know, I figured that most peeps use cockpit :D

14. j.mcleod

j.mcleod Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Bonnet camera is by far the most accurate representation of what you see when on the road / track in real life. With VR cockpit camera makes sense as you get that added sense of depth, but without it the cockpit camera view is far too cluttered with stuff that would just be in your peripheral vision in real life.

When driving karts or cars in real life you are never aware of seeing the steering wheel. Sure, technically it's in your field of vision, but the way the brain works focuses your eyes on what is relevant, and that's what's happening ahead of you on track. This focusing task is much, much easier in a real-life, 3D environment, than it is on a small-to-medium sized flat screen. Playing with cockpit view in racing games is giving you far less situational awareness than you would really have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Oops01

Oops01 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I see your point but (especially in VR) does this not take away from the immersion factor?

16. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I agree with your other points, but not sure about this one. The only reason why you'd have less awareness is if something in the cockpit blocks other cars, but if your FOV is wide enough not to end exactly on an A-pillar, you'd see just as far to the side as you would in bonnet camera. Even a bit more, because cockpit camera sits a bit further to the back and you can notice a car launching side-by-side with your a little earlier.

17. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    I'm a Single Screen Player. I changed Back from Cockpit to Hood cam for tin Tops. For Formula Cars Cockpit is OK as Well. Chase Cam is good in r3e but with Radar from otterhud + crewchief you have enough Info of what is going on arround you.

18. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Triple screen and drivers' perspective. I do it for the immersion. Recently made some modifications to my equipment, allowing me to get a proper and repeatable FOV. I adjusted my monitor angles to give me a 180º FOV, and put the monitor stand on casters, so I can pull the screens close enough to fill my vision. I thought I would need to get use to the on-screen images being smaller, due to the monitors being further away, but that was not the case. I took to the new settings like a fish to water. The elevation, track width, car size, opponent size all seems to be correct. This is awesome!