DTM 2013 AI Strength

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dan Speelman, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Dan Speelman

Dan Speelman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    I've been racing the ai quite a bit these days and I've found setting them at 100 is a good challenge for me for with DTM92, Group 5, WTTC 2013, and ADAC Master 2013. I can usually qualify in the top 5 and gain a few positions during a short race with these settings. However, in DTM2013 I get my doors blown off with the AI set to 100. During qualifying I'm about 2 seconds behind the last driver and get left behind on the first lap.

Is the AI strength scaled differently in DTM 2013 or am I just driving these cars completely wrong? I usually don't go for the high downforce, twitchy cars in sims but these cars seem like a good balance and I'd like to use them more. I also don't want to lower the difficulty to reinforce poor driving habits if I am driving them wrong. I've been launching races from the Raceroom Experience rather than the DTM 2013 Experience if that matters.

2. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Same thing happens to me. I'm now convinced I a terrible DTM driver but still wondering if it's got to do with the AI. There are some things they do that seem impossible to me.

3. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Good question....That makes me feel better...I get spanked as well...have to turn down the AI for the DTM races or I am back of the pack. I can usually muscle my way up the grid at the start, but then I get dropped......I have not tried Adaptive AI with DTM 2013, but am using it with ADAC GT 2014 and its pretty good, once you run 3 or 4 short races ( 10 minutes, no practice or qualy) to get your average lap time recorded. Then if I drive well, I do well...if I don't, I lose...which is what you want. You might try that and see if the AI calms down.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I've had the same issues as well. Are you running a championship or single race mode. Something I've noticed is that the AI's are also more aggressive in championships than in single races. But, my philosophy is, it's not how good you are. It's how much fun you have that's important. I've found that the more time I spend practicing the the better my lap times get. also spend some time fiddling with the suspension and toe in ect. I've been able to cut 2 to 3 seconds of lap times with that. don't be afraid to restart the practice and qualy rounds until you get better lap times. But mostly, lighten up on yourself! it's only a game at the end of the day. (I tell myself that daily:rolleyes:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dan Speelman

Dan Speelman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    It's good to see I'm not alone! Last night I thought I was on to something when tried launching a single race from the DTM Experience and the AI seemed reasonable. Turns out the AI was set to adaptive in that experience and when I set it to 100 I found myself left behind again. The good news is the adaptive AI seems to work well for me so I will probably go that route for DTM races. I still think I'm not driving the cars to the limit since I'm not used to all that downforce but hopefully I'll be able to figure that out and, as you say GregoryLeo, have fun in the process.

• Like Like x 1
  6. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    Same here... But has been spoke about before.. I can race them at lower level and find its the same with Radical (I think, it's been ages since I drove it)

The problem i find (highlighted at Hockenheim) is that I easily match them all round the track until the complex, where there gain about 2 seconds at the level I usually race at..

So I try to find a level for each class.

7. Gerbuho

Gerbuho Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +264 / 0 / -0
    Well, today I started a new championship with adaptative AI. First race won too easily, wich is not fun but I was hoping that would improve later (even made think of getting the 2014 Experience, wich I haven't because of this issue). I went to a race online, won, and then an tried agan in SP with a single race with adaptative and, what happened? well, AI like aliens again, not fun again. :(

8. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I seem to remember one of the devs saying it would take about 3 times on any particular track for the AI' to get dialed in. So you might want to go on each track a couple of times in practice mode before you race. the faster times you post the faster they will go. It's my understanding (and I could be wrong) that the ai are designed to challenge you. So some should be slightly faster than you and some should be slower. My personal problem with the adaptive ai is the unpredictable braking. the ones in front of me tend to brake early and the ones behind me tend to brake late. And I tend to end up in the gravel.:pensive:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  9. The Angry Hamster

The Angry Hamster Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +148 / 0 / -0
    When I am planning to do a video for a race I generally do at least 3 races to get the Adaptive AI into a decent spot. The more races you do with a particular car and track combination the more closely matched the AI should be. Basically the bigger 'backlog' of data the AI has about where it thinks your skill is, the more accurate it can be when setting the value for difficulty.

• Like Like x 1