DTM 2015 I am sad and disgusted and you ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AMG Vilas ®™, Oct 21, 2015.

?

what do you think

1. happy

51 vote(s)
    86.4%
  2. unhappy

8 vote(s)
    13.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nigel Fox

Nigel Fox Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Well, to be frank here, this sounds a lot like an update. Can you imagine the uproar in any community if we end up paying for updates? o_O

But I'll be fair too, this is an Experience, so in essence they're offering an entire minigame. Based on their previous work, using the same engine, but that is something. And I might just go ahead and buy it. I do love the game, love these guys in S3, and it's not all that much... in and of itself. But it does bump up the price of RaceRoom for me to around $212 if I do this, and that's not a small chunk of monies.

I'll have to add that I'm curious about the "ice skating," floating cars remarks people keep making around here. Maybe it's because I race with a decent amount of FFB in my TX wheel, but the cars feel as well planted as any game I've played. Makes me anxious to try that new physics to see if it's a whole new, dare I say it, experience. ;) Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to spend some quality time with RR, compare it to Assetto Corsa, my other excellent physics sim. Anyhow, gotta quit sleeping in my chair... :confused:

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Dave R

Dave R Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +576 / 0 / -0
    It happens in every community. Its the same typical argument that occurs with any sports based games. As I said earlier in the thread, FIFA, PES, F1, Football Manager, Madden, NHL, etc all offer not much more than an update of rosters, drivers, kits, paint schemes, etc on a year to year basis. Call me a Raceroom apologist, but I feel much more comfortable spending $12 for updated cars, liveries, and new physics for the new season than dropping $60 on a new FIFA/etc. The same thing largely happens with Call of Duty and other AAA FPS. It's the same engine, just new clothes, maps, etc. If RRE wanted to be bastards, they'd make us pay for the tracks again as well, since I can almost guarantee that if Codies or EA were running raceroom, there'd be no allowance for owned tracks. You'd pay for it all every year.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, technically it's an update. I guess I take a bit of a different approach to R3E though, seeing as it's still in beta and being done by a small team I consider my purchases as more of an investment to support the future of the sim and the studio and I'm happy to support them. My purchases are definitely going to drop off after this though, I'll probably get the new ADAC and the Nords as well but that will be it until some substantial improvements are made to the core of the sim. But with the new DTM and ADAC I'll have enough to keep me thoroughly entertained until the rest of the sim is brought up to snuff.

I've always been equally curious (and jealous) about people who don't get the floaty feeling and it makes me wonder how we can have such different experiences with the same software. For me, it's not a subtle thing, it dominates most of the cars and makes them very unpleasant to drive. I also drive in AC, iRacing, SCE, GTR, FTruck and spent half a decade with GT5/6 and those all have a similar base feeling to them, they feel planted and stable and I can feel the friction of the rubber against tarmac and the weight transfer in the corners. R3E does not feel like that for me, the controls are vague, the reactions are slow, and my inputs are imprecise. I've tried dozens of settings, both my own and other people's, but it never goes away. The feeling was there on my GT3 RS and on my T300rs (I also prefer a decent amount of weight, probably a little too much). It's frustrating and has led to me giving up on R3E multiple times, but somehow it always sucks me back in to have another go. This is the main reason I plan to buy the new DTM, to finally have some cars that don't feel like this. I'm not sure why some people feel this floatiness and some don't, but I can assure you it's very real on my system. I have two friends that occasionally stop by and like to have a go on my rig (they're not regular sim racers but have both raced on GT5 with wheels in the past) and both of them have made comments about how R3E feels weird without me telling them anything about it, so I know it's not just in my head.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Voted happy - bought the pack, been playing the championship and having a blast- it's really good. I had 2013 before but did not play much - really loving the single player mode on this, feels great, very immersive racing.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Nigel Fox

Nigel Fox Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to conditionally disagree. Yes, the Maddens and FIFAs of the gamingverse are notorious for producing cookie cutter games every year. But for the rest, not so much. Battlefield 2, 3 and 4 were completely different games with uniquely built game engines. I can confirm this to be true because I own them, and I'm pretty sure the other shooters aren't as similar as the Maddens. The NHLs are replete with new engines and new gameplay techniques, not just new rosters.

Now I must admit that I'm sick of EA becoming the new Microsoft and have pretty much dumped them. Haven't played any NHL games since '13, and this is probably my last Battlefield. But, I think it's kind of a stretch saying that the DTM 15 Experience is no different than the situation with the other examples you mentioned, considering it is using the EXACT same game engine as the host of DTM 13 and 14. ;) But I said above that it is its own minigame, so in this way, it's a product like any other that you can buy or not.

• Like Like x 1