Resolved DTM 2020 undriveable since December update

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Speedo, Dec 14, 2022.

1. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    the issue can be easy reproduced with the default setup, you need only to change the engine break reduction to 1 and set the rear wing to 14 and then make some round in interlagos.

engine break reduction with 1 and rear wing with 14 is mainly used by driver´s for the DTM2020 cars

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  2. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    So this isn't about the default set up at all?

For context, that means reducing the rear wing by around 6 points and changing engine braking from 14 to 1.

What happens if you don't make those changes?

3. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    With the default setup you have not the issue, but the problem is that the default setup is very slow, and you have a cap up to 2 seconds to a modified setup and the setup is not competitive, and nobody drive with of wing of 19 and default engine break reduction

4. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Setting your engine break reduction from 14 to 1 is asking for trouble in this car.

5. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    This is all that concerns me as I can't be responsible for how users wish to deviate from the baseline.

It also now appears that your setup which previously was "2sec/lap faster" is no longer, and that's the real problem you have.

6. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    with engine break reduction of 1 you get the problems of unstable car in slow turns

7. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Correct, yes.

The garage tip clearly explains this:

upload_2022-12-16_12-22-19.jpeg

8. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Pre update it wasnt, the way i was most comfortable with the m4 (dont drive the audi that much) was moving the brake bias to around 51-53%, with break reduction at 1 and the differential very low if not at 0 (i did run the wing at 18 or 19 tho, however ive never been near the fastest guys in these cars and maybe thats one reason for that). Im aware all those changes potentially help rotate the car but pre update it was far from prone to spinning on entry even with these changes, now im lucky to keep the car on track for a lap. Guess ill have to try the default setup on a track ive driven this car before and compare feeling as well as lap times but something definitely changed quite drastically with this update

9. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I thought about that too, but all these changes are listed under "Sound improvements" section. So I think it needs some clarification from Alex.

10. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It's not really relevant. It is what it is now and it's not broken. It seems that everyone complaining is doing so because their weird setup loopholes got closed.

11. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    If the values should not be modified, then it will the best remove it from the car setup or better make fixed setup far all parameter, that nobody can complain if there is a values set which makes the car unstable.

12. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Well you are free to run whatever values you want, but if you run numbers that are stupid then expect stupid outcomes.

13. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    do you driver ever this car? can you explain why this values is stupid !

14. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    So for example, you have maximum engine braking with reduction set to 1. That's the same as applying the rear brakes every time you are off throttle, and then you wonder why it becomes unstable on tight turns.

15. Joe Ore

Joe Ore New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    in the last two years there was no issue to use this values, but for your information if you set it a value of 10 instead of 14 you have the same issue as with 1, so looks you can not drive a other values as de default, btw there gives other car which has a very low value as default.

16. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Not all cars are the same. Some don't need it at all

17. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Recommending Diehard League drivers (been one myself) to "just make a new setup" is somewhat audacious or like a declaration of war - do you know how much time some spent to squeeze out the last milliseconds :)
    Just kidding but there's some truth behind...:D

18. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Yes it seems to be déjà vu all over again as we had this when the last update made the DTMs slower due to lower top speed. These cars seemed OP anyway so maybe it´s good they are harder to drive with extreme setups. If you are racing at Norisring or Red Bull Ring then a wing setting of 10 or less with less rake could be appropriate provided you soften the rear to give more mechanical grip and use more preload, engine braking reduction and less rear brake bias.

I dread to think what the feedback will be when the gt3s have it done too.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  19. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    I'm not talking about whether it's broken or not. When something is changed in physics - let alone to an extent where previously good setups become undriveable - it should be reflected in patchnotes. It's an important change, why should it be omitted?

All of that - this thread and confused and frustrated people - could have been prevented by one line in patchnotes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Speedo

Speedo Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Did you drive the DTM20 car since last update?
    If yes, did you only drive them with standard setup?
    Or did you also check if setup tweaks beyond standard still make technically sense?

@Alex Hodgkinson
    It would be really great if you could provide some more details to what changes have been done to the physics and what changes you would expect to the car's behavior.
    Please :)

I agree with standard setups the car behavior changed less. But it changed.
    With my competitive setups the car behaviour changed really massively. From the change logs I coudn't anticipate such a drastic change.

I don't know if such a drastic change was really intended.
    Maybe it was intended by closing a loop hole. Great.
    Maybe it wasn't intended and it's some miscalculation. Ok, let's fix it.

Either way, I would be fine.
    But @Alex Hodgkinson please give us the clarity. You're the only one.
    Please Please :):)

• Agree Agree x 2