Problem ESport WTCC round 3 Nurburgring crash

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by DarylBradyGP, May 2, 2017.

1. DarylBradyGP

DarylBradyGP New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    game keeps crashing after the last update. esport mercedes time attack is working. only this esport wtcc is not. it crash when i launch round 3 of esport wtcc. it goes to the loading screen and load a little after that the game will crash. how to fix this? i have tried the pinned post verifying it on steam and tried also reinstalling it. how to fix this? thanks cheers

dmp file attached

Attached Files:

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to hear you're experiencing this crash.
    We've tried to reproduce the issue but couldn't, everything worked alright here.
    So for you everything works except Nordschleife?
    In that case you might be running into some memory issue, Nordschleife is the biggest track by far in terms of memory consumption. This depends greatly on your PCs specs, so please share as much info about your system as you can.

Things you can try:
    Firstly, make sure the game files are intact by verifying the games cache files in steam (right click the game, go to properties, go to local files tab, click "verify integrity of cache files").
    You could also try lowering the track texture quality (go to advanced graphic options, scroll down, the setting is near the end of the list) to reduce the amount of memory needed.

If this doesn't help, report back, including your PCs specs please.

Good luck,

Christian

3. DarylBradyGP

DarylBradyGP New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i tried lowering the graphics settings. lowest settings. also the verifying of files from the steam and the set launch option -cefNoGPU. still not working.

pc spec is
    g2020
    6gb ram
    660ti
    windows 7 32bit

hope someone can help me

thanks!

4. Giorgos Tzanetos

Giorgos Tzanetos Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    The problem is that you have win 32bit.

You can't use more than 3gb ram.

You need win 64bit and you'll be ok.

I had the same problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to say this, but I'm pretty sure that's the culprit right there.

The issue is that a 32bit OS can only utilise a maximum of 4GB of the 6GB of RAM you've got. The OS itself takes ~1GB - 1.5GB of that and every application running in the background gnaws away another bit. So realistically your system might have between 1 and 2 GB of available RAM for RR to use, and that's not enough for Nords.

So you could also try shutting down any process and app that isn't needed to free up some RAM, but ultimately I agree with Giorgos, updating to a 64bit OS will be the only satisfactory long-term sollution.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  6. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Unless I'm mistaken, the maximum memory available to a 32 bit program on 32 bit Windows is 2 GB. Since R3E is a 32 bit program, it shouldn't be all that difficult for it to run without memory issues on a setup like his. Unless he has a lot running in the background or unless R3E needs 64 bit Windows (it's not specified in the minimum requirements).

But I agree that 6 GB of RAM is wasted on a computer running 32 bit OS.

7. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Not exactly. When running in a x64 environment the Large Address Aware Flag increases the VAS of 32bit apps to 4GB, which it can't do in an x86 system for obvious reasons.
    But in x86 OSes it will increase the VAS of an app to all memory that isn't used by the operating system and other applications, which can easily be more than 2GB.

Well, that wouldn't be the worst requirement to add to that list from my personal pov.
    We could start an argument about what the line "Memory: 4GB" means, physical or available, but by now I treat it as the amount of memory that needs to be available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Not in the default 32bit Windows configuration. You have to manually enable this behavior in the OS.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Erm...This faintly rings a bell, it's been so long since I had to deal with an x86 OS myself. :D
    There was that /3GB switch you had to enable, right?
    I thought that was enabled by default in consumer Win versions following XP...

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  10. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I don't think it is, but like you said, it's been a while. Also, I believe that from Vista up, you no longer use the switch, but set it up using bcdedit.

BTW, just for the heck of it, I've tried running a 36 car (35+me) WTCC 2016 race on Nordschleife VLN, and the memory consumption of R3E was pretty much locked at 2 gigs, with some spikes going slightly over.

11. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    This is what is to be expected, yes. But depending on the setup it can use up to 4GB. And if the VAS for apps is locked at 2GB and there's some things running in the background even ~2GB might be enough to cause a running out of memory error.

But if I'm not missing sth it looks like this *could* be a chance for people using 32bit OSes.
    @DarylBradyGP if you'd like to give it a shot you could follow this tutorial to increase the Virtual Address Space the OS allows to be used by applications to 3GB instead of the 2GB that are apparently the default on all 32bit OSes (thanks for that hint @Case ).
    Bear in mind that some people experience problems after doing this tho, so if you're not tech-savvy or afraid you might damage sth don't feel obliged to do this.
    In any case, always make backups of files before you edit them.

The games exe is large address aware by default, so there's no need to edit that.

If you decide to give it a try, please report your findings here.

Good luck

Christian

12. DarylBradyGP

DarylBradyGP New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    thanks for the tips and troubleshooting guys, will try that later. ill update how would it go.

• Like Like x 1