Etiquette query?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GooseCreature, Jul 9, 2015.

?

On serving a slow down penalty should I maintain the racing line?

1. Yes (Racing incident)

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. No (Pig ignorant)

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  1. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    If you are serving a slow down penalty is it customary to remain on the racing line? because, I'm sorry but in the heat of battle It's very difficult, at a quick glance to determine the exact speed of opposition and rounding a swift bend collisions are going to occur! Just like to be clear on this as this has happened twice today and twice abuse was thrown at me, someone put me straight please!

By the way it was me doing the running into the back of someone else the problem is not being able to judge their speed, seeing as an instant slow down penalty is not, shall we say, sodding real perhaps a large flashing icon should appear above offending car!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  2. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    If you can get out of the racing line its better to do it.If that option is not available (example due to track space or people passing around) you could still go away without getting off the racing line.

3. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    The fact of the matter is, IRL it's plain dangerous to have a slow vehicle on the racing line. In Sim, because we can't die or cause death there are some that don't care. This is also a wind up in quali when the driver in front of you has clearly mucked their lap but come back on track with no regard to your presence, and start racing you, ruining your lap too...

I think you know my vote...lol

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. D.Boon

D.Boon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    That's really an awkward one to answer, as @alesi27 says, ideally it's better to get off the racing line if you can but, most of us are probably aware that, that's not always an option and sometimes as you say, in the heat of the moment, you don't always realise you've got a penalty until someone's ran into you lol.

Generally though, @machwebb is bang on with his answer lol.

5. Jona777

Jona777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    I'd say use common sense :) It all depends from situation and corner you're in i believe..

Just don't make any sudden moves..

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Sebbl

Sebbl Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion these slow-down-penalties are completly useless. They only cause more chaos and are not realistic in any way. Exactly the same as in Assetto Corsa.

The penalties were handled pretty much perfect in Race07 already in my opinion. 2 warning and get a stop-and-go, if you do cut a third time, that's also pretty much how it's handled in most real life racing series'.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    depends how close the person is behind you.

8. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I think no sudden moves is fair enough, wherever you emerge on the track just stick there unless you're in a specifically dangerous position after a blind corner (on the hill at Bathurst, for example).

Basically, think to yourself 'where would I be least likely to get hit, as that would penalise me more'.

But good of you to ask! Makes a difference to many games where 'good etiquette' extends to taking out less than three cars at the first corner...

9. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    Id like for time to be added to pitstops or at end of race for cutting corners as this is how it gets handled irl, not with a stop-go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I'd say move as little as possible, so if you get back onto the track's racing line's side just stay there instead of moving all over the place just to get away from the racing line. This will most likely cause more harm than it does good as nobody can anticipate that.
    If I see a slowed down car I certainly expect it to stay where it is, not move all over the track, so I can most safely pass.

11. CDwyer

CDwyer Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    The slow down is the penalty. having to move off the race line is not part of the penalty. So those behind should have to fight for the place.

12. David Slute

David Slute Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    The slow down penalty is rediculous.....your in the heat of battle right on the tail of your opponent when 2 of his tires go over the curb and he's nailed with a slow down penalty......guess what happens next?
    You have no where to go and crash into him, now both of your races are over due to an unrealistic feature. Please bring back the stop and go penalty system!

As for the op.....when it's safe get off the racing line. You have no chance of holding or keeping your position against faster approaching vehicles. Especially on exit of a tight turn where your opponents can not get a clear visual of your car and realize it's serving a penalty. They will most likely drive right into you and ask what the hell your doing, getting off the line they won't even think twice of what your doing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  13. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Precisely this. I've no idea why dedicated servers still have the slow-down penalties. Just use drive throughs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    Drive through are a little harsh really. We had a race and if i remember right @Fairman was given a penalty and had to do drive through on first lap. Needless to say the race was ruined from the get go. So we changed it to slow down since we feel driving on password protected server with good fair driver we shouldn't need to penalize a driver who more than likely made a honest mistake or cut the line in error.

15. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I like the formula 1 2015 system (apart from the contact stuff) because it just gives you some time at the end of the race.

slowing down in the middle of the track is going to create accidents because in a car like the bmw e30 gra the throttle is needed to keep the car straight it often ends in a spin.

16. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    The easiest way to solve the problem would be if the car became a ghost car during the penalty, with a count down over the car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Can't vote because it really depends on the situation.
    Yes, a slow car should try to avoid the fast racing line. But sometimes it is better to stay on the line, make no sudden moves and let the car behind pass you.
    Most rear-end collisions are a result of unexpected moves of the slower car and its misinterpretation of the driver, who wants to overtake.

The main problem with the slow-down penalty is, that it happens immediately and mostly in moments, where other cars are accelerating out of a corner. A car which gets slower in that situation is a potential source for an accident. Perhaps the car should set as non-collidable in that moment.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  18. shardshunt

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    that doesn't stop the spinning and loss of control, perhaps it needs to let the driver choose when to slow down

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    It's pretty easy to avoid a penalty really, you just have to either let go of the throttle or dab the brakes a bit. Judge the speed you're cutting the corner from the speed of the other cars.