Problem Fanatec wheel/-base suddenly no more recognized

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Skybird, May 22, 2022.

1. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Specs in my sig.

Around two weeks, give and take some, since I last launched RR , back then it worked flawlessly. But now: no recognition of the wheelbase and no reaction to wheelrim'S buttons. Game options show a red triangle at every profile entry with that wheelbase (I use two wheelrims, and have a copy of each of them, so four profiles). It says in all cases the hardwarer were not connected, but it is. The wheelbase got callibrated when I switched it on before I launched the game. Turning the wheel, pressing buttons, does nothing.

NOTHINS has changed on my rig since then (no driver updates, no Windows updates, no installation of new software, nothing: if things work, I do not touch them). The wheel works with both rims in ACC, AC, Dirty Rally 2, Wreckfest, ETS2. I can change the wheelrims on the fly in AC and ACC and switch to another profile ingame, and it gets recognized. The Fanatec menus also show no issues, I can use all options possible there to my liking. THE WHEEL IS THERE, windows recognises it.

I cycled through the various Fanatec wheelbase modes (red, blue, green LED: PC, PS4, Compatability mode), it made no difference, the hardware gets not recognised in any case.

Something has changed in RR. I can also not establish a new profile, since the hardware does not get recognised. Since this is so, I cannot remap anything and do a new profile. Currently the game is a dead body floating on my HD, it cannot be driven. Not happy.

2. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Tried again, reinstalled Fanatec driver, removed old ones first, switched USB ports - no effect. Game stays broken for me. Drove AC and ETS2 instead, briefly tested ACC as well to see if something had changed after reinstalling Fanatec driver and replugging hardware - everything worked, only had to re-select saved controller profiles.

3. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Thousand excuses if youve done this already , and even tried and explained above ....
    If you plug x wheel rim choose profile can you rebind brakes .... usb or wheel connection ?
    Same thing wheel on , no rim , try to bind pedals, in a custom and a new profile
    Can you check if steam controllers has hijacked it . Steam / settings/ contollers ......
    Run a ccleaner registry tool /save/delete

Im not a pc , so sorry if this is vague

Andi

4. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Got it working in a workaround mode which I would not call a fix - obviously someting broke in Raceroom.

When I start the game and wheelbase with the GT3 wheel attached, the game recognizes it, and the profiles for the GT3 wheel and the universal hub no longer are warned with a red triangle saying that there is no Fanatec hardware connected (all attempts today I started with the universal hub attached). I also then can change the wheelrim GT3 for the Universal Hub v2, switch the profile, it works.

However, when I start the game and switch on the wheelbase with the Universal Hub attached, all Fanatec profiles are warned with the red triangle, and nothing gets recognised as connected, I could then switch to the GT3 wheel and change it, and still all profiles stay locked, no hardware connected.

So I must start now with the GT3 wheel attached to the wheelbase, and must later change the wheelrim, if I want, it only works this way. Well, in the past months since winter when I got the universal hub, this seems to not have been necessary, and it did not matter which wheelrim was attached when the sim was launched. Obviously something changed in Raceroom, is now broken. A few days ago I also could not connect for two days to the server, could not launch the game.

In the other sims I use, this workaround is not needed, it does not matter what wheelrim is attached to the base, it all just works as it shopuld, and changing hardware on the fly in these game also works, no matter whether I change form GT3 to UnivHub or the other way around.

The problem lost in severity, but I do not mark it as "solved". Because it isn't solved.

5. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Have you had a fanalabs update ?

Andi

6. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Andi, you posted while I posted #4 too, I miossed your post in that reply. Pedals where not affected it seems, they reacted on the axis indicators at least.
    As I said, it seems Racerooms insists on the GT3 wheel being connected to recognise the wheelbase, and once it did,it also does not warn with triangles anymore the profiles for both wheelrims, it all then is accessible. However, if I start the game with the Universal Hub connected to the wheelbase, all is blocked and stays so, no matter what I do.

I googled before I tried the above, and found that this issue seems to affect quite some owners with Fanatec DD wheelbases. Google has quite some complaints of it. It seems it is not only DD, but also my CSL Elite (at least). There is something in the fanatec stuff that Raceroom does not like. But the problem becomes evident only under certain circumstances that I cannot further identify. I tried to describe the perceived symptoms as objective as I could. An explanation I have not.

At least I can get it working.If it does not get worse I can live with it.

Last edited: May 22, 2022
  7. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Firmware, driver? Yes, sure. When? Don't know. The software says its up to date. It was not recent,but I think 8-12 weeks ago maybe. Since then the hardware was used in RR and worked.

8. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Thanks , ill point this to the devs

Andi

9. jensmuellerhig

jensmuellerhig Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    @Andi Goodwin
    Hi Andy, any news or solutions to the problem? I have the same issue with my Fanatec DD1 Base and Podium Hub.
    Thanks Jens

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022