fanatech money worth?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rac0R84, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Rac0R84

Rac0R84 Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    hi at all
    actual i have a logitech g29 and i am thinking to change my system time after time to a fanatech system
    first i am thinking about to change the pedals to fanatec csl elite.

i wish to hear your oppinion.

greats

2. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I had a G27 myself, current stuff in my sig.

Upgrading pedals before wheels makes perfect sense. But I recommend to go all the way with pedals: a loadcell for the braking pedal. Nothing will affect your driving as much as this change, not the other pedals, not the wheel, not an H-shifter. Go for the CSP v3 instead of the CSL elite pedals, I would therefore recommend.

On wheels, Fanatec is known to do very good stuff, the question is if you really must spend as much as their stuff often costs. If you are a fanatic, then the answer is yes :D and then nobody must tell you anything and you would not even be here and ask. If you however think a litte bit about the bang-for-the-buck ratio and do not want to just headlessly throw your money out of the window for minor improvements only, I recommend to avoid the heavy price stuff by Fanatec, and go with the CSL Elite PS4 wheel indeed. Its more cost-economic, and the quality is excellent, still. No DD, yes, but look at the costs for DD!

I use these two kits since one year, there is nothing I miss or could complain about. Both are perfect. And avoid the needless rise in costs for the wheel you would need to pay for the other kits by Fanatec. And as s a VR user, I cannot care less for the looks of the many different wheel rims in the Fanatec universe.

3. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Having upgraded years ago from Logitech to a Fanatec Forza and then onto the Clubsport wheel and pedals I can say a huge upgrade from one to the next. As the previous post suggested if you are committed to your hobby then the Fanatec price is not nearly as intimidating, for the casual player I would say probably not necessary.
    Although the CSW v2.5 is awesome, the CSP v3 are really what impressed me the most, load cell makes all the difference.
    Good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    compared to a G29 ...hell yeah
    100% agree

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Pretty much what you've read above.... its all about how serious you are about sim racing. If you are a casual gamer, don't worry about it. If you have been racing/ driving sims for the past 2 years, an upgrade to at least V3 pedals from Fanatec will be a smart move.

And if you are seeking the best driving experience, crazy about simulators, not afraid to get kicked out of the house ...then you shall look up at some Direct Drives with the high-end pedals like Heusinkveld etc...

None of the above will make you a better racer/ driver but the experience and some lap times will surely be improved.

6. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Just gonna agree with the pedals make the biggest difference debate, have the v3's, absolutely love them, loadcell makes all the difference. Did find brake to soft but Fanatec threw in the performance kit when I had some issues with and earlier set of pedals (not v3's), have found a perfect combination of silica from the kit and once setup have not had one issue or need to adjust. Great piece of kit, would highly recommend. Going from a G27 to a TM TX300 was a massive step in the right direction also, better feedback installs better confidence which in turn improves your lap times.
    Saying all that there are many people with crappier kit that are faster than me and even more with far superior kit that aren't.
    Practice, practice, practice, number 1,2 and 3 top tips for getting quicker!

7. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it doesnt matter what gear you use if you want to be competetive.

Good gear is for the good enjoyable experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    You don't need it to be competitive, you don't need it to have fun.

Get it if you can afford it and would like a more "customizable" experience over the G29..

9. Flipside

Flipside Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I'm in the nearly bought Fanatec camp but ended up with a Thrustmaster TS-XW (comes with pedals). I had a G920 and changed a month or so back after spending a stupid amount of time researching.

Differentiating factors were: entry point of hardware, perceived reliability, returns process as I am UK based.

In my budget range was the CSL Elite PS4 with CSL Elite Pedals without LoadCell. at just over 500 UK pounds with shipping and fees. The TS-XW was only slightly cheaper but had the clutch as well and shipped from a UK retailer down the road.

Wheel and Base: FFB and forces are reviewed to be about the same between the CSL and TS-XW but the TS-XW is top of the range for TM (with great sparco wheel) whereas the CSL is entry level. The TS-XW is also pretty quite which was a big consideration for me.

Pedals - The TM pedals are not particularly great, a small step up from the G920. No doubt the CSL pedals will be better and if you get the loadcell then definately worth the money. Also I do not have a rig and it seems to get the best from the CSL pedals they need to be mounted somehow. Not just on the carpet. TM pedal are just about ok on carpet. The G920 pedals have a nice heavier base than TM and likely CSL Elites.

If I had a rig to clamp it on and the budget then I would have gone for the CSW V2.5 and returns process be damned. It seems that is the best base before a DD wheel at the moment and has a lot of love and effort put into it by Fanatec. Therefore worth the money.

CSL Elite Pedals with Loadcell are definately worth the money. Just weren't in my budget at the time but happy in the knowledge I can upgrade if necessary.

Just remember that more money does not necessarily mean you will be faster but the time you have will likely be more enjoyable.

10. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    Did you see an advantage at all with the performance kit ? I've been on the fence about it.

11. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    As I mentioned I did find the standard brake to soft and for me it has made all the difference the issue is, is it worth the money, originally I thought not but I'm quicker with it than without, so ..................................................... o_O Just remember that you are paying for 6 pieces of silicon, a piece of foam and a small bottle of Lithium grease, all in a nice box.

12. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Well, I had my ups and downs with Fanatec. BMW GT2 wheel, Porsche 918 wheel, CSP wheelbase V2, CSP shifter 1.5 and finaly the CSP pedals 3.0 went to service.
    But after more than 2600 hrs of intensive use it's worth it. Still having a lot of fun.
    Support is exemplary and at the moment I do not feel the need to replace anything.
    Though, what's the price of these DD wheelbases ...
    Thankfully delayed!;)

13. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    While my pre ordered DD1 will -hopefully- arrive somewhere around april/may I also got a €349,- voucher.
    Now the difficult one: I already have the CSL Elite LC pedals. Swap for CSP v3's and keep the CSL Elite wheelbase and pedals together for PS4 gaming? (only GT Sport seldomly). Or wait for the limited edition F1 2019 wheel or choose another steering wheel? E.g. Porsche 918 or BMW GT2 wheel? Luxury "problems".....choices. choices.

Just watched comparison videos between CSP v3 vs CSL Elite pedals. Tempting to go for the v3's

14. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Well I was upgrading not long ago from G27 to CSP V3/CSL Elite Wheel plus Thustmaster Shifter (also a fine piece of Hardware) and it is the next logical step of Improvement for the average but dedicated simracer and it's enough money to invest anyway. Beyond that there is only DD/ simcube technology and thats starts with about €1200.- for the wheelbase alone.
    And yes the pedals make the biggest difference but compared to a G27/29 with a Fanatec Wheelbase you will definitely sense FFB effects and general response you never felt before :) - not to mention various features to adjust the wheel to your own liking...
    The P1 Standard Wheel which is coming with the CSL Wheelbase is a little weak tho' - it works fine of course - but it got a small fracture after two month part from the FFB forces (you'll see :) ), part from being a little two rude handling it on my side. So better be easy on it. Thats what I liked about the G27 : Just a rugged rim with just a few buttons, plainly undestructable...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  15. RLM Simon

RLM Simon Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    I highly rate Fanatec. Love the V3 pedals, and V2.5 base. Plenty of detail can be felt. As close to a DD wheel you can get.

16. Jason Mullin

Jason Mullin Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    IMG_20181217_161946.jpg The answer is yes, Fanatec is worth the asking price. I bought the CSR Elite when it released, it is still working 9 years later.
    Other opinions may differ and most of us have a budget, but Logitech and Thrustmaster products feel like plastic toys to me after running the CSR for so long. The new Clubsport line does not disappoint, I've just taken delivery of one very impressed.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  17. Jonathan Young

Jonathan Young Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I have a Fanatec setup - a CSL Elite wheelbase / wheel and the Clubsport v3 pedals. I would say they're well worth the money, so much so that (for now anyway) I'm not even tempted by an upgrade to a DD wheel. Their ecosystem is awesome though, so I AM tempted by getting a new rim or two, but that would probably end in divorce :)

Also, the FFB in Raceroom is near perfect straight out of the box with the CSL. When I upgraded from PS4 to PC, I got AC, iRacing and R3E. I'm not playing AC at all, because of the constant tweaking to get it to feel right. iRacing is just OK, but the multiplayer is enough to keep me subbed. But Raceroom is excellent with almost no tweaking!

My only slight gripe is that the rumble on brakes and throttle seems to be constant which is a little odd. Can';t figure out how to make the pedal rumble effects work in a more meaningful way...