Few thoughts about R3E after a healthy hiatus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The_Grunt, Jun 24, 2016.

1. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    So, I haven't launched R3E much after the Nords release and the "big grids patch", mostly because of the worsened AI performance. I didn't quit playing racing sims so my time was spent mostly with rF2 and more recently also with Automobilista. Today, I spent few hours with the R3E and here are few of my thoughts now that I can compare it even better to the other products:

Pros:
    - R3E still has an edge on the quality and focus of original content, that is selection of the tracks and GT racing. There certainly are mods for rF2 that offer similar type of stuff, but in general R3E content is far better if you are looking for GT racing. Then again, without mods, R3E is missing some exotic stuff. But focus and quality is good, no matter how you put it.

- Despite the lacking AI, game can offer racing moments that can make you sweat, literally. When everything works, it is simply awesome. rF2 and AMS does this too, but in general, R3E does the racing feel well, when the negatives don't hit you.

- Sounds. Nuff said.

Neutral:
    -Graphics in general are okay. What I just realized more than before, that proper triple monitor support is definitely important. With R3E it was far more difficult to hit the apexes of hairpins, because your side views were distorted. You got used to it somewhat, but experience was definitely lacking here.

-FFB is okay, though not at the same level with rF2 or AMS, definitely better than AC or pCars (I have T500RS). It is good in general, but lacks the weight transfer feel making the steering feel like driving a heavily power steer assisted Stock Car (=NASCAR).

Cons:
    -AI defintely behaves oddly in many occasions, but some tracks and car combinations are defintely better than others. I mostly drove on Zolder this evening, because it seemed to work quite fine.

- I have mixed feelings about the open wheelers. They are sure fun to drive, but to me they are too much the same: too forgiving and lacking the snappiness of open wheeler. In rF2 or AMS even the more entry level open wheelers offer a challenge, where you almost always need to set up the car for the track and if you have a bad setup, car is most likely very difficult to drive and slow. You also need to be careful with the throttle and braking points. R3E open wheelers are just damn too easy and forgiving to drive even without much practice. It is difficult to say why, perhaps too much grip or lack of inertia. GT3 cars and similar have a good feel of weight, but somehow open wheelers seem to lack it.

- It is almost impossible to make tires wear out by driving badly or with poor setup. To me it seems no matter how you punish you tires in turns, tires don't wear out abnormally. There can be some differences on the tire wear for sure, if you look at the HUD, but in general tire model is just too forgiving. Also, there is no flat spot modeling. Forgiving tire model is bad also in the sense that it makes improving your skills and car setup somewhat void.

Here it goes. Just few thoughts and while there seem to as much negative aspects than positives listed here, these are just few main points that crossed to my mind after couple of races in R3E. I could've probably written here much more positives, but same goes also with negatives. This is a good game, and hopefully it will improve in the future :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Strange. Having done a DTM2014 season and a ADAC season last late summer and autumn, and winter, with races lasting for around 30 minutes or so, I had tyre issues almost in every race, before pitting in the middle of the race, and at the end. There definitely was tyre wear, and lots of it - other cars started to catch up with me again when I had my rubber eaten out.

Different now due to the car classes' physics updates?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jebus

Jebus Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Naturally it's an subjective matter, but to me saying that R3E has better ffb than AC is a joke. When it comes to pure driving AC wipes the floor with R3E.

But having said that, all sims have their benefits and the ones I play (AC, Automobilista and R3E) I like them all.
    I had a long pause, almost 2 years iirc, from playing R3E and comparing it to its' early days it has improved a lot. Still lot to do though.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  4. Chocoloco

Chocoloco Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I think you have to differ between the ffb and the actual game physics there. While the ladder may well be more advanced in AC I personally feel the ffb itself is mediocre at best and doesn't tell me what the car is doing at all. I feel way more connected through the wheel in R3E and can better anticipate the cars behaviour. This maybe due to simpler physics in R3E but that just does the job better of making me feel like driving a race car while in AC I never forget I'm just behind a monitor because it's lacking so much of the feedback I need. Also, AC makes huge use of canned effects, which I dislike.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Out of all the Sims I play I find r3e has the best ffb. Give me more idea of how the car is handling than any of the others. Maybe I just don't know how to set it up.

6. Bogues

Bogues New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    did u fix error 503 aussie because i cant get this working and its really piss me off wasted an entire day ... that cost me more than the entire content of the game my time is worth far more than the cost of all this content so im really angry about this what work fine yesterday wont work at all now and to see so many people with this issue and nothing being done...

7. Jebus

Jebus Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    You have your opinion and I have mine. I don't agree with yours. I have all canned effects at zero in AC and the ffb is great.

But like I said, it's all subjective.

8. juan Fafian

juan Fafian Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    to me ffb in raceroom is absolutely better than AC,without comparison.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. The_Grunt

The_Grunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +168 / 0 / -0
    It's not that the tires don't wear, they do, but driving style seem to have very little effect on how tires wear down. It is difficult to ruin your tires in this game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Ah, I see what you mean. I feel not competent to assess whether that is like you say, or not. I know only one driving style anyway - mine. :D

11. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Not fixed, I have been getting the 503 errors for about 5 months, only seems to work for me after around 11pm as it did again tonight.

12. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Agree with this. Bottom line is feel most connected to the car like I'm actually driving it with R3E. It's predictable and more easily becomes second nature.

It does seem like maybe there is more going on with AC, but it just feels like extra layers or something between me and car. I like the game....it's good, just don't feel as connected to car.