First Thoughts of Update?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by w4nn13, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Tom Shane

Tom Shane Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    It happens when the servers are overloaded - and yesterday they definitely were. It will be back to normal pretty soon.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That was my experience too, huge performance boost.

GTR3 class is not available as a pack so far, although I think J-F (or Georg?) mentioned that they are planning on putting one out.
    Looks like for now the most cost efficient way to get them all is buying ADAC GT Masters 2014 via http://raceroomstore.com (there's a special deal, 9,99) and then making use of the linked discount and buying the GTR3 cars.
    Or pick one or two GTR3 cars you really like now and wait for the GTR3 pack.

3. Tom Shane

Tom Shane Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    I just add, regarding ADAC14, it appears to me that prices at the http://game.raceroom.com/store/ were changed after patch. Before patch buying the experience would cost me ~12e, now it is offered for ~8.71. I don't know what is the "full" price, since I already own all tracks, just pointing out that the prices have changed for me after the patch. The same goes for DTM2015.

4. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I think this is a really transformative patch to be honest. The improvements to physics, FFB and AI are just outstanding, and the numerous other improvements across the board really add up.

Physics/FFB: Cars are still "planted" but the "glued to the road" feeling is gone, replaced by a really informative and lively FFB. It's no longer possible to just point your car and put your foot down, it's now necessary to really "drive", feeling the car on the limit. The slip fx combined with some minimum force input really help.

AI: I was stunned to run into an AI and have it actually spin off the track instead of me. A world first for R3E! It removes so much frustration to have the AI apparently obeying a similar set of physics as the driver. They cut the track less, are slowed down by grass and kerbs if they do, and really seem to be displaying a little bit of race craft.

Setups: Better late than never I suppose, but saving setups is most welcome. Being able to adjust caster and tyre pressure would be welcome in a future patch.

I'm not sure what the devs are planning next, but some improvements to the damage modelling would also be very welcome. e.g hit a wall and lose wheel alignment instead of damaging the gearbox (?!). Lock the tyres up and flatspot them. Roll the car and at least lose the rear wing or a panel, etc etc

I was so impressed with the feature improvements that I immediately bought Nordschliefe and the WTC2015 pack to reward the devs. Top job guys, and thanks to all the beta testers too.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Have you bought something that's included in the pack in the meantime?

6. Tom Shane

Tom Shane Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Nope, my owned content was the same before and after the patch.

7. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Alright, then they must have changed the discount I guess.
    Cheers for sharing this info.

8. w4nn13

w4nn13 Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Yeah every thing is slow loading than before but I say that will go away at some point

9. mmaruda

mmaruda Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I'll add my 2 cents to the mix. First of all, thank you Sector 3 - this is a significant update and a great leap forwards for Raceroom.

So, what do I think? Well... It's absolutely the best thing that happened to Raceroom since I embraced it like a year ago. First of all, the music in the menu is great. It has the epicness and gravity that scream "racing sim".

Next up is the FFB meter. This was so long overdue. I have spent a significant amount of time tuning things and it resembles nothing that I had set up before. I honestly had no idea how much I was clipping! Now my FFB resembles what I have in rFactor 2. Not perfect, but I can actually feel the tires struggling on the edge of grip when cornering.

The new HUD is also very good and I love the way the rev bar turns green when it's time to shift.

Car handling seems improved. Especially the Audi GTO, so much more feedback about what is going on, sliding this beast is pure joy, and I have the impression that the turbo gap is so much more pronounced. Coming out of a corner now is like... start pumping air into my engine, you piece of crap would you!?

Last but not least is the Nord. This is a hard thing to rate. Especially that Assetto got updated and I went back to playing it with enjoyment again. So I tried Racerooms version and it rocked my socks off. The light is incredibly realistic. I played at sunset today and the sun was setting outside my window at the same time, at it was almost uncanny how the game looked. I always felt that with all the dated graphics rFactor 2 had the best lighting, but Raceroom matches it on the Nord currently and looks better. My only gripe with the Nord is that the grass on the side of the track looks a bit flat, like some sort of carpet, but honestly I only noticed it when watching replays.

As for the driving, I first tried the Formula 2 car and thought "yeah, Raceroom is so forgiving", but then I tried the GTO Audi and the Group 5 Corvette in a race and my thoughts were "Mmaruda... you know that you can't drive the Nord for shit, right?" And my final test was with the 1992 DTM Mustang - perfect, just the ideal amount of grip, braking power and torque for a crazy ride through the Green Hell. I'd say this is the best Nord out there, not because of how the track is done, but because you have proper cars to enjoy it at you disposal. Yeah, you can drive this with a BMW M3 and it will be just as any other representation, but why would you? I fly to Munich at least 2 times a month for a week or so and all I can say is... do not buy German cars.

What sucks about the patch? Oh yeah, there is one thing that sucks terribly... The Mustang GTO is not available in the store, but the AI drive it. What a tease! Seriously Sectror 3, get your game together. :)

PS One request about the Nord - please add some more cloudy/stormy weather skybox - this forest road is in dire need of some grim weather, not sure why, it just fits.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  10. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Agree with you mostly, and some extra clouds & stormy weather would be fantastic. :D I also love that 1992 Mustang but I do also love the older Beamers as well as few modern ones ;) - having also driven few different Deutsche Autos I cannot agree with your sentiment at all to not buy German cars ~ are you crazy !? :eek:

11. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +457 / 0 / -0
    Finally my turn , have been working so I have not had the opportunity to test until today. No problems whatsoever .

A brief summary of my first hour.
    images (7).jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. MeMotS

MeMotS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,056 / 0 / -0
    First tought is : I don't have enough hours in a day to play with all my new toys, this is like Christmas at 7 years old when you fell asleep in the living room hugging your new toys.
    I am overwhelm and very happy with everything here and mostly the nords :)

• Like Like x 2