Flatspot damage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F1Aussie, Sep 19, 2021.

1. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Hi all, any idea if there is a setting game to tone down the flatspot damage. I like the effect but had one lockup tonight that destroyed a tyre and the accompanying effect is very strong with my DD1.
    Cheers.

2. Hervé45

Hervé45 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +135 / 0 / -0
    impossible to modify the parameters

3. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Bugger, when you set damage I think I saw that there was the option of limited and full? What differences are there between the two?

4. Gordie

Gordie Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Is there a force effect intensity setting on the DD1 like the CSW has? If so, I turned that down to reduce the harsh effects such as flatspots.

5. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Yes there is but does that also cut down the overall strength of the ffb?

6. Gordie

Gordie Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    It cuts down the intensity of the effects, doesn't change the overall strength. For me it gets rid of sharp vibrations etc but not completely, just allows it to be fine tuned to your own preference.

It's worth trying as it can be adjusted on the fly.

7. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    One lockup will only cause one flatspot, it won't destroy the tyre, the flatspot will disappear as the tyre wears down.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Not for me it didn't

9. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Okay, good to know, thanks.

10. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I noticed this as well on my TSC PC racer. It used to be possible to modify the controller rcs file so you could tune the intensity if my memory serves me well but now it disappeared from Wheel settings

although its still in Gamepad settings????

[ Wheel FFB Settings ]
    FFB Strength="1.0" // Strength of Force Feedback. Range 0.0 to 1.0.
    FFB Linearity="0.88" // Steering force output "linearity". Range 0.5 to 1.0. 1.0 = linear.
    FFB Minimum Force="0.0" // Minimum FFB force output, from 0.0 to 0.15.
    FFB Maximum Force="1.0" // Maximum FFB force output, from 0.0 to 1.0.
    FFB Stationary Friction="0.5" // Amount of friction applied to the steering wheel when vehicle is stationary/moving slowly.
    FFB Engine Vibrations="0.0" // Vibrations from engine, from 0.0 to 1.0.
    FFB Bump Amplification Effect="1.0" // Increases Force Feedback from bumps, from 0.0 to 1.0.
    FFB Shift Jolt="0.34" // Jolts from shifting, from 0.0 to 1.0.

[ Gamepad FFB Settings ]
    FFB Throttle FX on steer axis="1" // 0 = Throttle effects on throttle axis, 1 = throttle effects on steering axis.
    FFB Brake FX on steer axis="1" // 0 = Brake effects on brake axis, 1 = brake effects on steering axis.
    FFB rumble strip magnitude="0.15" // How strong the rumble strip rumble is. Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.
    FFB rumble strip freq mult="2.0" // Rumble stip frequency multiplier 1.0 = one rumble per wheel rev.
    FFB rumble strip wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.
    FFB rumble strip pull factor="0.0" // How strongly wheel pulls right/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.
    FFB flatspot magnitude="0.25" // How strong the flatspot rumble is. Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.
    FFB flatspot wave type="0" // Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.

FFB jolt magnitude="0.0" // How strong jolts from other cars (or walls) are. Suggested Range: -2.0 to 2.0.
    FFB shift effect duration="0.05" // Duration of shift effect in seconds
    FFB slip effect="0.03" // Slip effect, from 0.0 to 1.0
    ffb slip freq multiplier="5.0" // Slip effect frequency. 1.0f = 1 cycle per wheel rev
    ffb slip wave type="0" // Slip effect wave type

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Would be nice to have that option in the wheelbase settings

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bubblejohns

bubblejohns Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    which car, some old tire models just detonate after 1 its kind of a mess when you race them with damage on

13. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    It was a Porsche GT3, not sure what year, but it was the pink BWT livery, so might have been a single car class like Porsche cup?

I had one lockup in the race that was not severe as I only had a bit of lock up and within half a lap the tyre had exploded, which is actually a cool effect, just wish the sensitivity of it all could be dialled back a bit. Maybe a lower damage setting, not sure how many there are of them though.

14. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Limited damage disables flatspots.

15. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    Shame that it disables them altogether. I wonder if raceroom will ever introduce a slider for damage levels.

16. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Thats strange they removed it for wheel and left it for gamepads

17. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like the PCCD Porsche.

This certainly isn't normal and I haven't seen this happen before and I drive those cars a lot. They do lock up quite easily having no ABS but they shouldn't puncture unless you already have very high tyre wear.

I'll give it some testing when I get chance.

18. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    On wheels the flatspot feel is based on physics and the shape of the tyre after the flatspot. On a pad without ffb it's just a rumble effect hence it's still adjustable.

Bear in mind in real life a severely flatspotted tyre can make the car undrivable due to vibration and they often pit to change tyres if it becomes a problem. I don't think our implementation is unrealistic in that sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    So I believe, maybe an oversight?

20. F1Aussie

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -0
    I just had a thought, I have tyre wear on x4 or X5 multiplier, so it may be linked to that.