Problem Flipping a lot of cars

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Lixma, May 4, 2020.

1. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Maybe their centre of gravity is too high but I'm flipping a lot of TCR cars with very little provocation. These are just from this evening....

2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    try to not hit the yellow curbs

Andi

3. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    They're curbs not land mines. If the real cars were as susceptible to tipping over we'd see it week in, week out.

Here's another one - WTCR racing car flips over at 40mph.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    To be fair, your videos show the two corners in R3E which are probably the most well-known for flipping cars. Both feature curbs that are raised, sloped and have a big yellow block on them. It's not just WTCRs, most cars can be flipped there. The simple solution is, as Andy said, avoid those curbs. They're built that way for a reason... to prevent people taking the lines you're taking.

That's the reason we don't see this kind of thing week in, week out... the real drivers know the risks and don't take the chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
  6. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    You're substituting the simulation for the reality.

If what you believe is true there should be hours of footage of real drivers flipping their cars upside down in exactly the same manner as your Audi. T1 at the Red Bull Ring would be legendary. If you honestly believe the reason we're not seeing similar accidents all the time in real-life racing is that drivers have thus far miraculously managed to avoid driving over the yellow curbs then I don't know what to tell you. And even if those yellow curbs were actually capable of flipping cars on their backs the FIA would have bulldozed them out of the ground.

If you believe a race car can be flipped on it's back at 40mph by skimming a lump on the ground then I don't know what to tell you.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Not using parts of the track that arent suited for driving is something that every decent driver should be capable of, not exactly what id call a miracle.
    And just because some "track limit enforcers" could be dangerous doesnt mean that they wont be installed. Just have a look at this one on the outside of parabolica:
    That being said i generally wouldnt expect a car to flip easily but i have no idea whether or not that expectation is realistic. Either way if i end up on my roof every other lap i might end up not using those kerbs as much anymore for now ;)
    (Although theres nothing wrong about asking about it on here either)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Yes, you do.

9. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Ive never tried it in real life, i have no memory of seeing somebody else trying it in various ways in real life and i have no memory of seeing anybody tackle the kerbs in question (in real life) in exactly the same way one does in r3e to flip a car so im not aware of much that would prove my expectation right or wrong so technically i dont. Theres a good chance my intuition doesnt fail me but it remains just an intuition

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  10. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

That yellow piece of curb has undoubtedly been driven over millions of times, by the very best (and worst) drivers in the world, in conditions ranging from freezing to monsoon to Sahara desert, and at speeds much higher than 40mph - and I'm willing to bet that it caused not a single car to flip over.

Same with T1 at the Red Bull Ring. The tire marks on the curb attest to the fact that cars drive over it constantly. But has anyone seen this happen in real life?

[​IMG]

Even once?

11. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    The tire marks are there because the devs decided to put them there. Of course itd be strange to put the marks in a place thats never driven on but i wouldnt base my argument on it.
    A quick look at some onboard videos on youtube makes me doubt that. Ive seen gt4, gt3, gt2, tcr, dtm, road car and f1 and none of them used the yellow kerbs in t1 or t2(/3)..
    Cant disagree on not having seen a flip there tho ;D

12. XanderSJX

XanderSJX New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I have a question on this, when you drive over curb, do you continue to turn right in order to complete turn?

I would expect to flip over if I hit the curb while turning. Usually I try to go over yellow curbs (if I must) with wheel straight and hoping that weight transfer is done before the moment of impact. Of course, this is me guessing in dark, I don't have real-life experience in this kind of situation.

13. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Seriously?
    Timestamp 8:40 already.

Several cars eating this sausage, like they're on the Oktoberfest.

If you really think a race car with suspension will flip that easily on that sausage at the usual cornering speed there, it would be a strange perception of physics. ;)

Drivers aren't avoiding this sausage at all costs. Even your Monza example is special, because the Parabolica is crazy fast. This stupid sausage there was removed and was just one race weekend in use. The speeds are totally different.
    These are Grade One circuits, even a F1 car will not flip on T1 on the Red Bull Ring. It can spin, though.

Example Monza exit Ascari with sausage (not in R3E afaik), you open up the steering for a short moment to avoid spinning. But flipping is veeeery unlikely. Even the Chicane 1 at Zolder doesn't flip you easily and it's severe for some cars.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  14. Bavarian_Firebird

Bavarian_Firebird Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    But to be honest even if the sausage dont flip cars Ironforce Racing mentioned last year in one of their videos that driving over this yellow curbs will basically will brake the car. Front wing and right suspension was damaged after the UFO drove over this. In the video was stated to stay away from these Curbs and Ironforce learned it the hard way. Maybe smaller and lighter cars can handle it better.

15. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Too hard hitting by curbs breaks suspensions in R3E btw.
    Not just once, i broke it on the chicane 1 at zolder if you're overcooking it with several cars ;)
    A TCR car can handle it. Watch my link at the mentioned timestamp. It's not only one car, that uses the sausage there.^^

Btw. rest in peace Ironforce Racing, miss them already.

16. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Merc Evo II - 1992 DTM Championship winning car defeated by gentle hump.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Video is missing.... "unavailable"

But yes, old DTM cars shouldn't flip, or the Avus would've been even more dangerous.

18. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, should be there now.

19. CrimsonEminence

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    Oh whoa...
    This is not even natural looking.
    This needs a look into. (TCR and DTM etc.)
    @Alex Hodgkinson
    What exactly is happening there? It looks, like as soon the side of the car is airbourne, gravity is weaker, than anything else and the left tyres like on rails.

20. Lixma

Lixma Honorary QA

Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0