Force Feedback - Wheel Calibration and Signal-Processing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by John Fetz, Dec 6, 2019.

1. John Fetz

John Fetz New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hello there,
    some friends got me into R3E and i must say it feels very nice, even on my low budget wheel! Great Fun!!
    I played some Assetto Corsa before but i think RaceRoom does a better job in terms of realism.
    Even though R3Es Force Feedback Settings are sophisticated, i kindly ask for adding a feature allowing individual wheel calibration or more importantly some post processing for the FFB-signal.
    This would be most beneficial for lower budget FFB wheel owners. I think top notch wheels have this implemented in the driver software, already.

In AC there is a fiddly option enabling the use of LUT files to apply custom FFB curves. This option should now serve as an example to explain what i'm after.
    When playing AC the FFB never really felt right regardless of the settings. Then i stumbled over that LUT file option using iRacings Wheelcheck for wheel calibration. The linear test shows the FFB response curve for my Thrustmaster T150RS:
    [​IMG]

Apparently my wheel does not reproduce FFB input linearily, hence the FFB is being distorted. Now there is a LUTGenerator which creates a LUT file equalising the FFB according to the data from Wheelcheck:

[​IMG]
    AC is applying the LUT file as a post processing effect on the FFB signal.
    Since the wheel is having the opposite characteristic, the resulting physical force is rising as linear as possible. Also the FFB signal is optimised for the dynamic range of my wheel, which got rid of clipping while compensating the deadzone.
    That was a great improvement already but i thought there is still room for improvement to match my personal preference. Now i started to alter the curve manually to get it as natural as i could. This is what i am using in AC now:
    [​IMG]
    Literally, these results were game changing for me! The details are more defined and the percieved FFB resolution is a completely different level. I get so much more information from FFB and it's differentiated so much easier!
    However, i am sure i could still improve it slightly, but the way there was too long and everything but intuitive...

Altogether, i believe a function to allow manipulating FFB dynamics (or linearity) in the game would do the trick for most circumstances.

What do you think about this?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. x26111

x26111 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0