Problem Fps woes, still.

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by GooseCreature, Apr 12, 2021.

1. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Ever since the last big update I have lost nearly all fps, from the mid hundreds to struggling to get thirty (and no, all other Sims run as they always have), I have wasted countless hours reinstalling RR and every driver involved and beyond and nothing. Yesterday, not for the first time I disabled -webmenu in the Steam start options and low and behold, from nowhere I gain some fps, I'm up around the hundred mark, happy day's, unfortunately this has also brought back the tea tray sized door mirror and the Boomerang shaped other half of the car. Ah I thought, I'll put the old -triScr settings back in launch options and yep, you've guessed it, bye, bye fps, back to below 30. So I can either have it look like I'm driving a car but via a slideshow or smooth as butter but it looks like I'm in some sort of Acid trip. Still not sure why but it's something to do with surround and triples but only in RR. This usually only lasts a week or so but not this time, it's been weeks that RR has basically been unplayable for me, that's not to say I don't try but it gives me a headache but I have to enter the Comps just to try maintain my ranking, online racing is a nightmare, fraught with danger of tumbling ranking. Any Ideas anyone, I'm about done?

* Whoops almost forgot to say, since deleting -webmenu I only have 180 degrees of wheel rotation and it's greyed out, I did take a quick look last night but to be honest it's all getting a little frustrating and I'd hate to wake up one morning with my rig out in the garden and a large hole in the window of which I threw it through!!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hi Goose, I didn't follow the struggle until now, just noticed that you had fps issues but saw you were talking to someone already, so I don't know what you've tried already.

But as I assume you've tried all the usual steps already, here's some other things to try:

- I guess you've already deleted the browserdata/cache folder inside the games documents folder? If not, do so. Also, if you have more than one Raceroom documents folder, like here
    upload_2021-4-12_10-49-33.png
    make sure to delete the cache folder in all of them.

- Have you already tried switching display modes (fullscreen, windowed, borderless windowed)? Maybe some funk is going down on your system when using windowed...

- Also, while in those docs folders, you could try deleting the files called "graphics_options.xml" and "hud_options.xml".

3. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Hi Christian, yeah, done all the usual and some, cache trick, it was me who originally posted it, a lot of the mentioned cures do in fact work on occasion, alas no matter what I try I can't permanently gain any fps and some tracks, Spa, Sepang, Dubai etc the poor girl grinds to a standstill, yet fire up anything else and all is well. It's not like this is new, it started after one of the big Christmas updates and as I also said, usually, a week or so later there is a RR small update that fixes it, we had the small update, it didn't fix it. So for the last 2 years 4 months I have to go through this dance, trying to hunt fps that RR throws away during its update. Becoming tedious to say the least.

*Just went from writing what's above to my PC, deleted all cache, fired up RR. Loaded the NSU at Knuttsdorp (or whatever it's called) and averaged 17-20 fps, so I don't know, exhausted all avenues I know.

4. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    Long shot , download ccleaner , click on tools , the registry , run it , click yes for backup , then delete /fix the issues

Andi

5. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Cheers for the idea, do have the software, just loathed to use 3rd party s/ware to sort this sort of issue. It's not like I can't get good fps, as last weekend all was well, I was back up in the mid 100's, it just won't stay there, NSU at Knutstorp I was pulling 17fps, 17!! Then at Bathurst in the 964 40-50fps. Checked AMS2 high 90fps, rF2 with quite high settings around the 100 mark. If there was an issue with my PC or GPU why doesn't it affect other software, makes no sense whatsoever. Something in RR doesn't agree with nVidia surround, if I disable -triScr it's all back to high hundreds but I get a massive wing mirror and the right side of the car curves off into infinity. I've run out of ideas, other than a reinstall of Windows (again, have tried this before) I have nothing left in my armoury. Wasted hours over the last couple weeks and not a hint of an improvement. :(

6. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    So to take this up in the correct thread, the symptoms are 100% GPU occupancy when the game is running - even in main menu and that things are better when not running triple screens?

If you can run throttle stop or some other program that measures GPU (and CPU) temperature when playing the game both in single screen and triple screen mode then perhaps we can narrow in on the cause of the problem. To my simple mind, 100% is too high and should be causing the GPU to overheat thus throttiling back on performance.

In single screen mode, are you OK on both temp and % counts and of course FPS? Does changing screen res make any difference?

What occupancy and temp do you get when the game is not running? Does it change if Steam is running?

7. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    The thing that makes his GPU work at 100% is the main reason of poor game performance. Throttling, even if it occurs, just makes it worse. I doubt fixing the throttling will also fix the 100% load.

8. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +355 / 0 / -0
    Maybe there's something with Direct3D library? There is one in the game folder, d3dx9_43.dll, but it has a different size than the one I found in my Windows/system32 folder. I don't know which on the game uses, I think it's worth trying to download and install Dx9 from the Microsoft website, maybe trying to switch the DLL in the game folder with a downloaded one. Or vice versa.

I know one game where this does solve some issues; for some reasons, a wrong version of Dx9 is uses, so you have to kinda force a newer one to be used instead.