Problem FR US FFB

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Rodent, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    And in case you can't tell, being home sick in pneumonia this issue has quickly become my white whale. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  2. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Hey @Rodent, thanks for sharing those files. I'll plop those in the report one of the other testers made, and perhaps these will help the devs get a better insight into this.

Im kind of out of ideas on what suggestions to offer for testing. I had one final idea, but you may have covered it already. You said it isnt related to FFB strength at all. But...

Have you perhaps tried lowering the FFB strength in game, and raised the FFB gain in your TM software? Or alternatively, have you tried lowering the FFB strength in game... and then increased the car specific FFB for the FR US and tested this to see if the problem persists? Im wondering perhaps if the ffb that the game is sending your wheel is a bit too much. And getting more strength from the 2 methods I just listed may provide a different feel to the FFB and get rid of that vibration stuff. Long shot, but I have experienced this in other games where lowering the main FFB in the game gave me a better feel and didnt make my wheel rattle.

Aside from that, the search might have to continue :p

We have a couple testers with a T300, and a few say they notice something weird... but no one else on other wheels, and there isnt even consensus among the people with T300's.

The devs did mention that the FR US 'should' feel a bit different than every other car, and if it doesnt, something would be wrong :D It's got a super stiff suspension, low weight, and then all that downforce. But then again, I've been using my FFB settings for over a year without change, and none of the cars released since then shake my wheel or have weird stuff going on, so I am clueless here.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rodent

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Hey Nate, thanks to you and others for taking the time to look at it.
    About to head off to work to play catchup because being sick sucks so I'll not be able to try messing about with FFB strength further until tonight. That said in my preliminary testing I've gone from a range of 50-150% FFB strength in sim. I'll definitely have another look though because I have by no means written off that it's just something very very simple staring me in the face going DUH. :p

Thomas noticed it too on a Fanatec so it might be other wheels are just better at not highlighting the issue/effect/whatever it is. :)

Now for all I know it could be very well be that as you say the FR US is just... Different. As you say though this is the first time in over a year I've felt compelled to even look at my FFB settings, and while all the aspects you mention in terms of stiffness, low weight and downforce are there and are what make the car fun, I don't see how any off those would make the wheel work harder on a straight in what back when I was on a G27 would refer to as the deadzone area. Well, I say work harder, the FFB motor sounds like it is, and while I feel some of it in my hands/wheel it's not a major output in force. As I've said before the wheel actually applies more force during a turn but I can hear the motor work less.

TLDR version: Thanks for not just giving up on the issue, I'll keep plugging away at it too but much like yourself I'm a bit out of ideas at the moment.

4. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Sorry for not checking through the thread, but have you tried editing "FFB steer force front grip exponent" and "FFB steer force rear grip exponent" yet? Values 0.4 and 0.0, respectively, may be of help, as per usual.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rodent

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Not yet, at work but will check it out tonight if I find the time. Thanks for the tip!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rodent

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Right, so after going back and forth on the two settings I'm sad to say that they don't seem to be it. For a while I almost thought they were, but it turned out to be my 599xx rim that was just softer then the F1 rim and didn't transmit the forces as noticeably, specially when I first tried with gloves. Not the most ideal I know switching rims in the middle of testing but what can I say, I had hankering for some WTCC on the Nords and half the fun is sequential shifting. :p

It did perhaps to some extent come to explain why I noticed it in the first place, the F1 rims grips are a lot less soft then the 599xxs alcantara, honestly without my now tried and true practice session without the headphones on I'd probably not have noticed it at all if it was my first run in the FR US.

Thanks for the idea though JyriK, glad for all tips on what to try.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. JyriK

JyriK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    This thread occured to me while driving some AMS cars with smoothing edited out (via realfeel). The ffb in a couple of open wheelers were pretty close to what you have described, like scraping the tarmac. So perhaps adding smoothing would fix the issue for you?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rodent

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Adding smoothing certainly helps, I've been running with it off when chasing the cause, but for sure adding a bit of smoothing helps.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. djdel002

djdel002 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Im having the same type of issue with the car too Rodent on my T300. All other cars run fine with Minimum Feedback setting around 5 which Is where I run it but for some reason the Formula US has a vibration especially on straights on my T300. I have Engine Vibrations, Curbs, etc. all set to 0.

I can turn the Minimum FFB setting to 0 and it seems to go away but then the FFB feels strange and can't feel bumps and small details etc. It is hard to explain if someone is not experiencing it.