Resolved Game doesn't work with GeForce 840M on my laptop

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Raaf, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ASUS laptop, Intel Quad Core i7 @ 2.40 GHz
    6 GB RAM, Windows 10 x64 Home edition
    GeForce 840M, 2 GB DDR3, driver version 358.87

The game does run on my laptop, but using the integrated video card, not the NVidia, so only in lowest quality mode.
    The NVidia configuration utility says that raceroom is incompatible with de NVidia card, and selects the integrated card.
    When I force the use of the NVidia card, I get a black screen from which I have to reboot.

I am surprised by the incompatibility setting according to NVidia. Is this a known issue?
    I hoped to get a notch better than the absolute minimum graphics on this laptop.

(It doest matter whether I use my Logitech DF GT wheel or mouse or keyboard controls, and it was the same with an older NVidia driver)

2. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Hello

I'm very sorry to hear that you are experiencing issues with the game.
    Could you please try the following:
    • Right Click on the game in the steam library.
    • Click "properties."
    • Click "SET LAUNCH OPTIONS..."
    • Enter -cefNoGPU in the text field.
    • Click Ok.
    • Start the game.
    Does that let you get into the game?

EDIT: Could you also provide us with a screenshot of where you see that the game is incompatible with Nvidia cards?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015
  3. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    This is a screenshot of the NVidia control screen (sorry it is in Dutch)

[​IMG]

RaceRoom will use the integrated card as default (but most games will use the NVidia card as default, for instance Race 07).

I entered the parameter you supplied, and at least the game did not crash when instructing to use the NVidia (but did it actually use it? the name of the parameter suggests to me that it doesn't).

The performance was not good, even on the lowest video settings I got a framerate of 20 fps.

I have also an old desktop Intel Core 2 6300 @ 1,68 GHz, with an ASUS EAH 5550 card that at least lets me play a smooth game on the lowest settings, so I can actually play the game, but I hoped the much faster laptop would provide a slightly better experience.

4. Hannes Wallstedt

Hannes Wallstedt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Just going to point out the fact that mss32.exe is not RaceRoom Racing Experience. It's Miles Sound System, our audio software.

We've dug up one of our laptops here at the office and will see if we can repro it.

5. Sonat Ozturk

Sonat Ozturk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,012 / 0 / -0
    Hi Raaf,

The Race Room you are selecting from the list is not for the RaceRoom Racing Experience. It's for the first Race Room title (Race Room the game). It's also pointing to the wrong exe (mss32.exe is for the sound middleware the game is using).

So what you select there makes no difference for this game. You can either manually add the actual exe (either via recent running programs or by manually going to the installation e.g. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\RRRE.exe)

Once you have the right exe added or if you prefer to do it globally under global setting, change the setting called "Preferred Graphics Processor" to high performance instead of the default auto detect.

This should at least start the game with your Nvidia card rather than the integrated one.

After that, try with and without -cefNoGPU. -cefNoGPU will disable the hardware acceleration on the experience menus but the game should run ok since it should now run on the Nvidia card.

However I would like you to try without -cefNoGPU first to confirm whether the black screen is gone or not.

Let us know how it goes.

6. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Ah, when I select the right .exe and put it on NVidia, the auto video settings go to almost all high, and the game looks beautiful, and runs at 30 fps.

But when I removed the start parameter the game once again produced a black screen.
    After I put the laptop in sleep mode and woke it up again, there was a popup about a crash report (which said please send this to the developers).
    Unfortunately the screenshot failed somehow and now I don't know where to look for it (it isn't in <user>\AppData\Local\CrashDumps where I did find older other crashdumps).

7. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    So I repeated the crash and now I have the crashdump.

Attached Files:

8. Sonat Ozturk

Sonat Ozturk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,012 / 0 / -0
    Ok we're making progress :)

So the game runs with the right card now at least. But without -cefNoGPU it still ends up in black screen.

We'll take a look at that crash dmp. In the meantime try to enjoy the game with the additional line. It changes nothing in game except turning hardware acceleration off on web menus

9. Raaf

Raaf Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. Now I can enjoy my new Spa Franchorchamps with trees on my TV screen. On medium settings it runs at 40 fps, which seems very usable to me.

(But now I will have to reinstall my steering wheel from my desk to the living room again :cool:)