Problem Game freezes or crashes when crossing finish line

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by spenjd440, Jul 4, 2021.

1. spenjd440

spenjd440 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When crossing the finish line in single player AI races, RR either freezes for a period of time, or hangs completely.

Sometimes the game "unfreezes" and continues normally, sometimes ctrl+alt+delete -> process kill via task manager is needed. Effect seems to be worse the more laps there are in the race, e.g: 1 lap race: no issues, 5 lap race: game freezes for a few seconds, 20 lap race: game crashes.

I only seem to get this problem in single player AI races, i.e it doesn't occur practice events etc. Haven't tried any online races/ranked servers yet (want to get this problem fixed first in case it affects reputation).

So far I have tried:
    • verifying the integrity of game files via the Steam "manage->properties->local files" menu.
    • adding -disableReplay to the launch options in Steam.
    • Updating Nvidia drivers to the latest.
    • Updated wheel (Thrustmaster TMX) drivers and firmware to the latest.
    • Checked that there are no Windows compatibility settings applied to either the 32 and 64 bit RR executable files, or to the Steam exe.
    There are no crash dump files in my ..\Documents\My Games\SimBin\Crash Dumps folder, but I found some events relating to the Race Room executables listed in Windows Event viewer (screenshots below).

Attached screenshots show typical race session setup, system specs and Windows event logs.

I'm running out of ideas, so if anyone has any helpful suggestions I'd be grateful.

Cheers

rrre-003.png
    rrre-001.png
    rrre-004.png
    rrre-005.png
    rrre-006.png

2. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    I have also experienced frequent crashes, like you mentioned most often when crossing the finish line in single-player (the replay is saved at least autimatically), but also just when opening the set-up menu screen in practise. I will try to look at these "crash dumps" you mentioned the next time it happens.
    I attribute this to bad internet connection, can this be the case? Most of the time it works normally after a restart of windows and the modem.

3. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0

Can you try with replays turned off , just as a test and report back please

Andi

4. spenjd440

spenjd440 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replies and suggestions:

@Zziggy I'd be surprised if it is a network connection issue as other games are ok. Also for example I have no problems displaying the current list of ranked servers, so I think my internet connection is ok, but I will monitor network activity around the time a race ends just in case.

@Andi Goodwin I already have "save replays to disk" disabled in the RR options, and I have the -disableReplay launch option set in Steam, - is there anything else I need to change to make sure replays are off ? I deleted all my old replay files, and since disabling replays in the game, there are no new replays listed when I enter the replays screen now.

I also have "show ghost cars" disabled, if that helps.

Someone mentioned in another crash-related thread that having a network drives mapped in Windows might cause problems (?), so I'm going to try un-mapping those next to see it it makes any difference.

Edit: also worth mentioning that, as you can see from the Windows event log screen shots in the original post, I have tried the 32 bit and 64 bit executables - same issue with both.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  5. Zziggy

Zziggy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -0
    Now it happened again, no crash dump. Error 21 / quit to desktop when crossing the finish line. Replays enabled and saved. I thought maybe my SSD is going to idle mode while doing this 30 min SP race? And then game crashes when replay is saved?

6. Steven Price

Steven Price New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have had the same error 21 today twice now game crashes as I cross the finish line :(

7. Steven Price

Steven Price New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have turned of the save replays & not seen the error since so fingers crossed.