Resolved Game freezing at Splash, Drive, Resume

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Surge, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Surge

Surge New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The game was freezing up at startup, when you see the splash screen, and sometimes it wouldn't load at all and just close out after a few minutes of sitting there. If i got in, clicking Drive would freeze the game for 30 or 40 seconds or so. If I then hit escape and either Resume, or return to pit and hit Drive again, the same thing would happen. RRRE64.exe would often show Not Responding and when playing online it would not respond long enough for me to get kicked from servers. Once on track, it was okay, I could drive.

After a lot of troubleshooting I found that when I close out Discord completely the problem goes away and everything works.

I've disabled hardware acceleration and changed a bunch of other settings in Discord to try and find what is causing it but nothing has fixed it so far.

Sooo.. any ideas? I'd like to be on Discord when playing the game. I just bought the premium pack... :confused:

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
  3. Surge

Surge New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I tried that. I have it off by default but I played with it and that didn't make a lick of difference.

4. Surge

Surge New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Friend suggested to try the PTB (Public Test Build) of Discord. I uninstalled the old (current) Discord and installed the PTB, disabled overlay, rebooted, and now the game works with Discord running, and it loads/responds faster in the menus etc too. I notice a difference. I think the overlay, despite being turned off, was still farking with the game.

5. Surge

Surge New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Spoke too soon. Issue remains. Not sure what triggered the comeback, maybe it was a reboot after installing the PTB version, but if I don't close Discord, I'm not going to have a good time. If I close it first and run the game, all works well.

6. Surge

Surge New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It turns out that Discord was not the problem. The problem happened more random rather than consistent. So sometimes I'd make a change and test again, and it may have worked with varying success, but then it would happen again.

Long story short, I eventually found out that my Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard is the cause of all of it. If it's plugged in, problem. If it's unplugged, all good. I had tested without the Corsair Utility Engine software installed but that wasn't enough. Having this plugged in seems to be enough to cause the problem. I hooked up my old keyboard and we raced all night and lived happily ever after.

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  7. Surge

Surge New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It may have been the USB port that the keyboard was plugged into. I moved the Corsair keyboard to another port and it seems okay now. The first time I loaded it up it had a weird freeze at a different spot in the menu. And it loaded an old last used car track combo. I backed out and went back in and it was good. Weird. No other game has issues so I'm not sure why this game does. Final verdict is definitely keyboard/USB port related.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Sgt. Spark

Sgt. Spark New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Do you still play the game with this Keyboard ? Because I switch every usb port on my pc and still does the stupid thing.. If I un-plug every thing work like a new product !

9. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Then it will be a process of elimination. plug one thing in at a time and test RR. Take note of the device that causes your issues.

10. Sgt. Spark

Sgt. Spark New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I already did that, it's the K55 the problem..