Gear grinding at leaderboard start

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fleskebacon, Jan 8, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    With H-pattern cars, I get gear grinding during the AI-controlled rolling start for leaderboards. Doesn't matter what gear my shifter is in, or neutral. Haven't tested all cars, just the MB 190 and the Volvo 240, but probably applies to the rest as well. I doesn't really matter, as damage is disabled for leaderboards, it's just an annoying sound.

I also sometimes still get these strange shifting errors with H-pattern, when I upshift too fast or just barely touch the clutch while shifting, the rpms displayed and heard will be too high for the current gear and speed, and will just stay on the same level until the car "catches up". Same has been reported earlier. Not a big deal, and most often probably a result of erroneous shifting.

2. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    This leaderboard issue is a known one and a very annoying one at that. As I very often drive older cars with manual transmission, I also hope that this gets fixed soon.

As for the strange shifting behaviour: Alex explained it some time ago to be related to a value that determines how much power can be applied during a gear chance. That value has to be set as low as possible to avoid being able to shift gears without even lifting-off the throttle. So it's a fine line between having it set to being exploitable with unrealistic powershifts and, on the other hand, a slightly slipping clutch when shifting sloppy or too fast. The only thing to avoid slipping therefore is, to do it properly and careful. This often teaches me, whenever I want to change gears particularly quickly, that slow and clean is faster in the end.

Oli

3. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I also recall something about this, that it's a known compromise. If it's still such a compromise, I'm fine with it, as it's getting harder and harder to notice it. (But I still think it would be better to get gear grinding and a proper missed gear as a result of all improper shifting, instead of clutch slipping.)

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2021