Question Graphics card boost not used in VR

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Mike S, Mar 28, 2017.

1. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0

I appreciate your response. I am, however using nvidia GPUVIew. I started using this awhile back trying to understand why “application framework” eats up so much gpu.

I can confirm with you I rarely see Raceroom hit me +80% load and never above 82%, memory useage jumps all over but never goes red. Also easy to note the temp of the gpu itself never gets hot like it does in assetto Corsa/Iracing. While over clocking and really getting everything out of your gpu I use gpuview, otherwise your just guessing.

It’s pretty clear RR is doing something different and has plenty of headroom left for performance. If i am understanding things correctly I am literally losing about 25% performance in just RR in general.

ASUS also has a decent gpu/memory monitor/logger. It’s not as in-depth but it is my first go to. Once I see load going too high (or in RR to low) I dive into gpuview.

2. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    R3E is known to be quite CPU hungry (dx9 is single threaded and lacks many CPU saving features the later APIs offer) the devs know that but don't have that much resources to do major improvements. The many cores you have aren't really used, however the cpu overclock should then actually help a bit...
    I don't know what is in the way, but gpuview should help find unexpected syncs or bubbles in the pipeline.
    Last thing to try is change CPU affinity in task manager and disable hyperthreading that way.
    My CPU is older and I run tripples okay. But I also don't run VR where the 90hz matter, and my GPU is slower than yours. Feeding GP102 quick enough is not easy ;)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  3. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0

Just as a quick heads up. When I disable hyper threading the game becomes unusable. Meaning it’s seconds per frame rather than frames per second.

I also noted last night - the GPU only stays below 80% useage in single player mode.

In multiple player I can get full 100% gpu useage and can clip the top (inducing stutters as one would expect).

So it’s likely AI (CPU) related.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Even with you 6950X ?
    There's no hope for my 6600k ,lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    And it’s seriously over-clocked, literally 43% on the cpu for my tests (It’s liquid cooled).

So reducing AI to maximum of 16 cars, reducing shadows, no tire tracks, reflections low, mirrors medium, no motion blur, no msaa, AA4, everything else turned up and PD 1.5 and finally smoothe 90fps in VR.

It’s by far the most demanding sim, and so much gets turned down or disabled it’s a really too bad. It loses a lot of visual appeal.

Nathan