graphics_options.xml No Longer Has Custom Resolution Options?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Smiley, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Greetings all,

I was trying to change my screen resolution to 5760x1080 (via three 1920x1080 monitors (one of which is technically a 4k monitor that I downscaled to 1080)) for triple monitors after setting up a custom resolution in NVIDIA control panel for the primary monitor (but not using surround, as I have been having issues with it). However, when I navigate to this graphics_options.xml, I do not see these such custom parameters for resolution, bitdepth, and refresh rate:

<custom type="uint32">1920</custom>
    <custom type="uint32">1080</custom>
    <custom type="uint32">22</custom>
    <custom type="uint32">144</custom>

I instead see something like this:

<screenWidth type="uint32">1920</screenWidth>
    <screenHeight type="uint32">1080</screenHeight>
    <screenBitDepth type="int32">22</screenBitDepth>
    <screenRefreshRate type="int32">144</screenRefreshRate>

Lastly, I did notice a section at the bottom of the XML file that had this:

<tripleScreen type="bool">false</tripleScreen>
    <tripleScreenAdvancedCulling type="bool">true</tripleScreenAdvancedCulling>
    <tripleScreenSeparateSizes type="bool">false</tripleScreenSeparateSizes>

Should these boolean values be set to true if you want to use triple monitors this way? At first, I just thought this was updated language, but any time I change the resolution in this file, the game reverts it to what appears to be a hidden default value (I believe 1280x720, but could be mistaken). Has anyone else encountered this? Is it no longer possible to set custom resolutions in the game itself?

2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I have the same set up 2 x 1080 + 1 x 4k and I just use the FOV in the GUI now and things have never worked better. For the first time ever I can see the dash in almost all cars, previously I'd get just the top at best. Why would one bother fiddling with .xml files when it's not needed anymore?

3. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    They renamed the parameters in graphics_options.xml a while ago so you can actually see what you're editing, but the functionality itself should still be the same. The values at the bottom should be set to false when you use a custom resolution.

4. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the responses, everyone!

I was able to use the suggestions in this thread from the Sector 3 forums to get everything set up in a pretty straightforward manner: "Question - Is there a way to run triple monitors without Nvidia Surround?

(I cannot seem to post links yet since I am a newer account with not many posts, it seems).

I created the custom resolution in the NVIDIA control panel, but I wasn't seeing the resolution in-game no matter what I tried. What I was missing was making sure to change the aspect ratio to 48:9, and then the custom resolution showed up. It was all smashed together on one screen at first until I restarted raceroom. Upon relaunch, the triple screens were showing as expected once I entered a race (before the race, it was just the far left screen and the middle screen showing content while the right monitor was black, which seems to be expected behavior).

@GooseCreature, do you have FOV settings that you have found that work the best for you? The default field of view is working alright for me for now, but I am looking to start making some FOV tweaks.