GTX 1070 or 1080? Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sbtm, Feb 27, 2017.

1. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

I'm going to buy a new GPU tomorrow or so, but I still struggle to chose one.

It came down to the GTX 1070 (http://www.kfa2.com/kfa2/graphics-card/10-series/kfa2-geforcer-gtx-1070-exoc.html) or GTX 1080 (http://www.kfa2.com/kfa2/graphics-card/10-series/kfa2-geforcer-gtx-1080-exoc.html)

What do I do on my PC and what will I do in the future?.. so main purpose is sim racing (r3e, AC, pCars2, Dirt Rally) and other games like Ghost Recon Wildlands, Witcher 3, Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Cities Skylines...
    I will go to VR during the year. So I thought the 1080 should be better to be fit for the future. Or will the 1070 be powerful enough for the next few years? I don't plan to upgrade for at least 2 or 3 years.

Any advice or experiences? I have the money and it's not the problem to spend the extra 170€ for the GTX1080, but apart from the money, does it make sense for my needs?

2. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    If you're using VR or plan to get a headset, get the 1080. I have one and wish it was faster - if I'd got a 1070 I would be forever wondering if I could be having more fun if I'd spent more.

If you're not and are unlikely to use VR then the 1070 / 1080 decision is a bit harder but a 1080 might be overkill for 1080p gaming

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. jimortality

jimortality Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Get the 1080 that covers all bases.

4. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Rumor has it the 1080ti is around the corner, maybe that affects prices, too, but not until tomorrow.

5. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    I'd wait for the next patch and the optimizations it will bring and experiences others will report. As mentioned, improvements should be very noticeable. And so maybe a 1070 gtx will do the service aswell. The release of ut4 engine will take a while and we will have the next gen of gpus with much more power than.
    I bought an 1070 gtx msi armor second hand for about 350 € an it fires tripple screen 5760 x 1080 maxed at 85 hz without any flaw. Having 300€ left, that's a lot of beer!:D
    You signed pcars2? What's spoken at sms forums?
    It's always a question of budget and desire.:rolleyes:

6. alesi27

alesi27 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +233 / 0 / -0
    If you can cover GTX1080 asking price, go for it, no question.

7. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I've seen other results with this game and these cards.
    And it's 170€ and not 300€ for me ^^ the gtx1080 I have an eye on is 599€ and the gtx1070 is 429€. My gtx 970 is from kfa² (or galax in other countries) too and it's a really good card. And when going to 1440 gaming and VR the 1080 could pay off..

9. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,109 / 0 / -0
    Only 170 ? You lucky man :p

10. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Name of the game's future proofing, so imho the 1080 makes more sense, kick yourself when everyone goes U4 and UHD becomes the norm, which is potentially only months away.
    PC's need to be over engineered as everything moves on so swiftly (slowed a bit over last few years but that's mainly down to lack of competition), jeez I'm still using an old GTX780 and RR runs fine with most the bells & whistles maxed.
    Nvidia are making a big announcement tonight so I should hold off your purchase until at least you know when the 1080Ti will be available and what it's likely to cost, as by tomorrow your question could well be, which Video card should I get 1070, 1080 or 1080Ti. Like I said, moves on swiftly!! ;)
    Good luck anyway, I am in exactly the same boat, have just eliminated the 1070 from my list though.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Wesley Stokes

Wesley Stokes Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I don't think this is a fare comparison. The 1070 in this chart looks to be almost maxed out on an overclock while it been reported that the G1 1080's have been received with a 1900 MHz stock speed before any OC.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  12. Wesley Stokes

Wesley Stokes Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Good point! I played that game with the 900 series, bought the 970 then quickly wished I had bought the 980.

13. Wesley Stokes

Wesley Stokes Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I currently run CV1 in RaceRoom with 200% AA for VR, max in game settings, all with a OC 1080 FTW. I have an EK full water block on it so temp never create a thermal throttling issue. I don't think it would run as good if I had a 1070, but as soon as a 1080ti is released I will be upgrading, or saving up for a Titan XP.

14. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Ditto, that's why I'm not going to make same mistake, 1080 or 1080Ti for me, just have to wait a few more hours, 2am gmt for Nvidia announcement at GDC, fancy I can hover over the add to basket just a wee while longer! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Future proofing is a bit of a misnomer as far as computer hardware goes. If you want to truly future proof... just wait for the next gen to come out. Ryzen is just around the corner! (said someone in 2013). Vega is just around the corner! (said someone last year) Etc.

But instead of future proofing... why not go for the cheaper product that has a bit lower performance. Then use that savings in a year to buy a new gpu which will be better than the more expensive one now. That way you will always be up to date.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 1
  17. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0

I think we both explained the regret felt when taking this option, I only buy a new Gfx card every 5 years or so and when I do I try to cover my ass as much as possible, so 1080Ti on pre order for me. :) No worries of not having the HP to run the next gen Sims using U4, trouble is I'm running out of organs I can sell. :mad:
    nate fancy buying the previous years tech, every year is an expensive hobby, my 780 is nearing 6 years old, cost under £300 and still runs most things with aplomb, if maybe not maxed out but a plucky attempt to keep up with later offerings. At £50 a years outlay I think it's done it's job well.
    Just think of the poor sods that have recently dropped £1500 on a TitanX, must be feeling rather sick, but then, it's happened to most of us in the past, there is always something lurking in the wings to make your last purchase seem rather old and outdated, name of the game.
    If I had all the money I'd spent on PC kit back, I could make an offer on buying Nvidia outright, but then I know for a fact AMD would come up with a product to make my company worthless.

18. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    To me Titan is mostly a "between" geforce and quadro type product (it's no longer GeForce Titan, but just Titan, so NVIDIA is aware of that ;) ). It's popular with universities, research and semi-professional use, of course there is enthusiastic gamers who are excited about getting crazy tech first as well. However, for some generations now the Ti has come with very high specs at a much better !/$ than Titan, just a tad later.
    The second half of the year will be great for consumers, there is gonna be a nice price battle. AMD needs market share for their new products. Both NVIDIA and AMD have a natural interest that the minimum requirements in PC gaming increase. With the market being flooded with very capable hardware, will be interesting next year.

As for longevity of the investment, 5-6 years is 2-3 generations of hardware, meaning a lot of changes can happen. The console refresh and upgrade path is a tad slower, Windows 7 vs 10 (dx11 vs dx12) adoption is another factor. So there are currently a few "breaks" at place, that increase life of high-end, but they can be lifted, too.

Especially for VR, there are no breaks, here we can already see that Maxwell and Pascal brought distinctive features, future chips will continue to innovate there (and I say that with 4 Maxwell TitanX cards collecting dust in our office). It's also the VR devices themselves that are in flux and will be very different in 5-6 years. So VR is gonna remain an expensive hobby, but well it takes a bit until it technologically matures.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  19. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    nvidia announced the 1080 Ti but I decided to still get the normal 1080. I would have to upgrade my PSU for the Ti and I don't want that. And I want a custom PCB and it may take some time until customs hit the market. And in germany I bet they will be around 800 to 900€ and I don't want to pay that.
    So just ordered the 1080 :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. GooseCreature

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Well I hope you got the $100 reduction that was announced at the same time, supposed to come into effect immediately but been checking prices and suppliers seem to be awful slow updating their systems.