Problem Hearing static noise

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Cosmic, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure if its from the last update, but I definitely hear some static noise in the game. Thought it might be my sim rig so I installed Raceroom on my second PC and I still hear the static. It is subtle and intermittent, but knowing its there and hearing it is degrading the experience. :(

It seems to be the engine and road feel effect sounds. I tested by turning off all the sound settings (expect for player volume) and listened to those settings by themselves.

2. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    When do you actually hear the static? In the menus? On track driving solo? On track racing against AI?

You could go to My Documents/My games/SimBin/RaceRoom Racing Experience/User Data and delete the "audio_options.xml file. This will reset the audio settings in the menu to default. Perhaps there was a problem with those?

What about speakers or headphones? Are they plugged in all the way? Also, depending on speakers/headphones, are you properly selecting 5.1 or stereo in the audio settings in game to match your setup?

Cant say I hear any static. So perhaps its just your cable not being plugged in all the way. Otherwise, if you could list where you hear the static, Ill try to reproduce this.

Cheers

3. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    The road feel effect is very noticable on both of my PCs. When I turn off all the sounds except player volume and road feel then drive over some kerbs I can hear static. The engine static is less pronounced but I can intermittently hear it when driving or when watching the AI with the race monitor especially with the TV cam.

I can try deleting the file but it is happening on two PCs one being a fresh install.

One PC is stereo and the other is 5.1 optical out to a Yamaha Receiver. I've also tried my headset on my sim rig and the static is there as well.

Static is not happening during any other games or programs and it is on both PCs so not a cable or plug issue.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Ahh, so this has been around for a while then. I just went back and found some reports from this issue, but not entirely sure what the out come of it was.

It doesnt sound like anything is wrong with your speakers/etc so thanks for that info.

Hmm, what is the % for roadfeel effects you use in the audio settings menu? I believe somewhat recently in one of the patches that roadfeel % got adjusted. I think the default now is somewhere around 40% which should be fine to use without that crackle/static. I believe it got rebalanced and this is now what the recommended setting is. Perhaps if you are using a higher % it is exacerbating the issue simply by amplifying any minor static that may be there. Im not really sure.

6. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    During normal driving I have it at 0 since it was driving me nuts, but for testing I will set it at 100.

But even with it set to 0 I can still hear some static that I believe is coming from the engine sounds. It is less pronounced but it is there somewhere.

7. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    This, especially at nords, not so much static to me, sounds distorted to the point that i actually thought i was getting some kind of radio interference. Going over the kerbs they sound IDK how to describe it, high frequency and fast, as if they have been sped up!
    Remember the old kids things\toy that could alter your pitch and tone when you speak, its like someone has done that on the kerb sound i get at Nords, strange thing is it isnt every time but very noticable when its there.

8. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Noticed you mention this and this would make sense to what you are hearing. Engine sounds are very tough to reproduce since recording from a real car sometimes introduces "noise" in the sample that cant be edited out, or if a real life recording cant be used, other sources such as audio from videos may be used to help create the engine sound (dont quote me on this, just a thought).

It is quite tough to get a 100% clear and static/noise/crackle free audio sample. My guess is that this static you are hearing is simply just the engine being a bit staticy. Some cars are more noisy in this regard than others.

9. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Nate, I've made a few changes on my end that I think have helped. It hasn't been as noticeable during the last couple sessions so if it stays that way I'm happy with it.

One thing I noticed from testing was that if I went into a single player race or practice with no AI cars I could not hear any static. I only tested a couple cars though.

10. Oscar_GT

Oscar_GT Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I recall this old post because I have same problem. Others SIM or yt or something else works fine.
    I tried some of above option without any result.
    It a kind of interference that happen time to time, very noise.
    Someone can help me?
    Thanks

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  11. andymaxwell

andymaxwell New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, me too, RoadFeel Effects do it. It increases proportionately to the volume/% you apply to it. Is there a resolution to this? (assuming it's caused by Raceroom)

12. carlos de hoz

carlos de hoz Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I have suffered from this problem for a long time. I have consultations months ago. New headphones external sound card reinstallation of the game but there is still. It only happens to me in the raceroom and it is the road effect. The solution was to lower the effect

• Like Like x 1