Problem Heavy flickering on race start with "-vr 2.0"

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Sjean Paul, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Sjean Paul

Sjean Paul New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone,

I've come across an issue where the screen starts flickering really hard when I start a race, but it only happens if I have the start parameter "-vr 2.0" in steam.
    The "-vr" parameter just works.

The flickering starts as soon as the loading screen before my session is gone.
    Anyone got any idea?

2. Andy Blade

Andy Blade Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I believe you only need -vr or -vr monitor all other settings are set in steam vr steam vr.PNG

3. Sjean Paul

Sjean Paul New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the response!
    Can anyone confirm this?
    Not that I don't believe you, it really does make sense, but the "-vr 2.0" was given as a supported command by sector3studios themselves, so... Is that not the case anymore?

4. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    no, it's still working with -vr 2.0

But if you use the Supersampling in Steam VR, the Supersampling from Raceroom will be added on top.

have you checked your framerate?

5. Sjean Paul

Sjean Paul New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't have supersampling enabled in Steam VR, so it shouldn't stack supersampling from anywhere.

I have checked my framerate, and I get a steady 90 fps most of the time with "-vr", but I can't check with "-vr 2.0" because of the flickering.

I run on lowest settings, and everything seems fine as long as I don't turn on the mirrors.
    If I turn the mirrors on, I'm on a constant 45fps and can't hit 90fps, ever.
    It's pretty weird, since I can run track texture quality and car texture quality on high, and even turn on 8x AA and still get 90fps.
    But as soon as I turn the mirrors on, performance is bad.

6. Sjean Paul

Sjean Paul New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Edit: I'd like to put my system info in my account, but I can't seem to find how to do it, so I'll just place it here for now.

intel i5 3750k @ stock, MSI RX480 8GB, Oculus Rift CV1, 12GB DDR3-1333 RAM, Crucial 400GB SSD, Win10 x64, Thrustmaster T500RS + Pedals, Thrustmaster TH8a shifter

7. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Do you have the Oculus Tray Tool installed?

If yes, try setting ASW on constantly active for Raceroom (RRRE64.exe).
    In addition try setting the Startparameter to -vr 1.5 and check if there is a difference. If it doesn't flicker, increase the Value step by step.

8. Sjean Paul

Sjean Paul New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I installed it, and did this:

- set the "ASW Mode" for RRRE64.exe to 45fps (is that what you mean by "constantly active"?)
    - set the Super Sampling to 2.0
    - started a practice session, worked, but noticed the 45fps lock
    - got back into menu, changed my AA setting from 8x to off
    - booted up practice session, only to be welcomed by flickering right after the loading screen.

I can only stop the flickering by force shutting down r3e in windows.

9. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Can you delete your graphics_options.xml?

You will find it in the following folder: Documents\My Games\SimBin\RaceRoom Racing Experience\UserData

After that, all your Graphics-Settings are deleted and set to default. Than start the game and do your graphics-settings.

In Addition. Super-Sampling at 2.0 seems a bit to much for your system, IMO.

10. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +323 / 0 / -0
    Very much this, I only run 1.5 for example and I still get ASW kicking in quite often during anything beyond hot lapping, and that's at MSAA 2x.

The i5 3750k is below the recommended minimum specs for the Oculus CV1 so that'll probably bottleneck you pretty hard, especially running stock. If you're not getting said flickering using "-vr" you just might be asking too much of your system.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018