Help needed with VR performance

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ajopp1, Dec 31, 2020.

1. ajopp1

ajopp1 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone,

I am in need of help. VR performance on my rig is really bad (please note that I have read the sticky VR performance tweaks thread by Thomas Jensen and applied most of the tweaks, I believe).

My rig:
    AMD Ryzen 5600x @ 4.3GHz for all cores (will push it to 4.5Ghz+ once aftermarket cooler is here)
    Radeon 5700 XT @ 1840/2000 Mhz
    32GB 3200Mhz RAM
    Samsung EVO SSD

Headset:
    Oculus Rift S

Things I have done:
    Successfully set up OpenComposite (to bypass SteamVR)
    Successfully set up Oculus Tray Tool - running 1.3 SS and ASW off

In-game settings
    Everything on Off or Low with the exception of Cars and Tracks detail which is on Medium
    15 cars visible
    20 contact shadows

This setup gives me around 50-60fps when practicing alone (I tried Portimao, Zandvoort and Laguna Seca). With 20 AI cars on the track it drops to 40-50. This is actually pretty similiar to the performance I was getting from my Ryzen 5 1600 AF running at 3.8Ghz and was hoping the 5600x would at least give me a stable 80 FPS since it runs on higher frequencies with more IPC. Disappointing.

I will admit I don't know what CPU and GPU rendering times are since I don't use a HUD in-game, but will measure those today if the HUD can provide this info.

Any ideas what more I can do? I will try running the game through SteamVR next with motion smoothing turned off + legacy reprojection mode turned on but I didn't see any performance improvements like this with the old CPU. I have read a couple of threads where people mentioned VR performance for them is amazing and they can run R3E at 90 fps, so if you are one of those people, please share your rig/settings. For reference, Dirt Rally 2 and AC run smooth as butter, AC @ 80fps locked even with a full grid and 1.5 SS. I haven't tried iRacing since uprading to 5600x but I plan to do it today.

I really hope there is something I can do to get a solid 80 fps because R3E is my favourite sim and I would hate to let it go just because of this. I know you can run the game with ASW at 40 FPS and it is playable, but for that I didn't have to buy a new CPU :( Is it possible that the game just isn't optimized for AMD hardware?

Thanks in advance.

2. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Did you already disable the time progression?

3. sergeich

sergeich Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    what is time progression in RR?

4. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    It's very important to set shadows to lowest.
    Also it might be worth setting SS to 1.1 or 1.2 and see if that brings some fps back.

5. ajopp1

ajopp1 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I believe the shadows are off (not on my rig so can't confirm, but I'm pretty sure). Or do you mean contact shadows? I don't know what exactly those do to be honest.

Edit: I will try lowering SS to see how it goes.

6. ajopp1

ajopp1 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I'm curious as well, haven't heard about that before.

7. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    It's an in-game option which sets the time of day to progress at the selected rate. You set it when setting up a race in singleplayer, or as an option when setting up a dedicated server. For some players it has a massive negative impact on performance, so it generally best left turned off.

8. ajopp1

ajopp1 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    OK so I did some testing this evening and it turns out that the biggest performance killers are shadows in the game and supersampling in Oculus Tray Tool. Hopefully this will be helpful to people struggling to hit their target FPS:

In order to achieve a stable 80 FPS with 20 cars on track I had to turn off shadows completely and set SS in OTT to 1.0 as anything above that would result in FPS drops. However, I managed to crank up MSAA to 8x and track and car textures to high without any loss in performance, so this is probably as good as it will get, unless I OC the CPU to 4.5+ GHz. But I'm happy with how it looks and runs for now. Shame about shadows though as the cars seem to be floating on the track a little bit, but I can live with that.

Could it be that SS in OTT somehow multiplies further and e.g. 1.3 equals a higher number for R3E? I saw some 3 year old videos where people would set SS for R3E in Steam/SteamVR to 2.0 and were able to hit 90 FPS. I think that setting it to 2.0 in OTT would burn my rig to the ground.