Help with on-line races

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M. Gordon, Feb 11, 2016.

1. M. Gordon

M. Gordon Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    When I select multi-player, I get the list of races with associated settings. I am finding few if any races with entries, most show 0. I also notice that all my ping readings are very high. 130 or more. What am I missing? Are all the servers overseas, and my ping reflects that? Thanks.

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That kinda depends on where you are and what "overseas" refers to. ;)
    Most official servers are in Europe, but there a a couple US and Japan based ones as well.

3. M. Gordon

M. Gordon Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I am in USA East coast. Is there a way to filter search for USA based servers? Seems like pings that I have at over 130 may not work very well.

4. Tim Cannon

Tim Cannon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255 / 0 / -0
    if you have a wireless internet provider, you could have problems with 130 or higher pings. 130 is not bad for a land line tho. i'm on the east coast canada, and thats a decent ping to play on. i usually get around 100-120 for servers in Europe or UK. there are servers in the US on the east coast and west coast. just sort by ping. but that doesn't always work cuz the pings don't show up all the time. and US servers don't usually have many ppl on them. you can see official servers with names that start with [RR US-W] or [RR US-E] or something like that.

its not like you're missing a large crowd on the MP servers. there just aren't many ppl playing in off times. you will have to look for MP servers in the evenings UK and Europe times. its too late to find ppl in the evenings US time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. M. Gordon

M. Gordon Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I ran a few races early afternoon my time, I guess early evening in Europe. Even at what should be peak time, there were few races, and the ones I ran in only had 3-5 entries. I'm presuming the only sim that might have more active online is iracing, but I'm hesitant to buy into the money they charge.

6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  7. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    ATM the best time for MP-Racing on Public servers is between 19 and 23 o'clock CET. For sure it depends on the classes you want to race...

8. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Be sure you are searching for games in raceroom experience and not one of the other experiences.
    Project cars servers are much much busier than raceroom, just a shame about the game :)

9. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Yea klick on ping in the MP list and the list show from highest or to loest ping or vs..... ;)

10. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    this should be completely irralivent as r3e has a p2p system that bypasses the server. only your ping in relation to other players is importaint.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Typically European prime time gets pretty busy. I'm on the east coast too, but logging on during the daytime on the weekends (before Europe is in bed) usually shows at least a couple full races, and many more with 5-10 racers.

Weekdays if you work 9-5 means best time is as soon as you get off work. Anytime after 7 or 8pm means you'll be racing with 4-5 guys like me and A. Olivera :)

12. Pastor_Chris

Pastor_Chris Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    I am in the same boat. I live in Ohio.

13. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, even ESR Steam Group has trouble to fill the ranks with north-american drivers for just funraces, while trying their best to promote...RRE ist still a very "euro-centered" sim....and as I'm often awake at night I rarely find a decent grid with drivers from overseas....(except for ESR or free content servers with crash kids I suppose)...

14. Dan Speelman

Dan Speelman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    I'm on the east coast as well and only ever see a couple free content servers with 3-5 people by the time I log on. Seeing there are other east coast guys looking for races in the evening I might start hotlapping on a server rather than single player. I could use the practice.

15. Jamesr

Jamesr Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Same thing here in the northeast US. All I ever see are a handful of people racing one of the free classes in Amateur mode. I think the US userbase for this title must be tiny.

Fact is, outside of iRacing, the PC sim racing audience in the US is very small.

16. Pastor_Chris

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    That is the main problem with the east coast it is very NASCAR oriented. If we had a couple oval tracks and a race room stock car the North American base would grow

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jamesr

Jamesr Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    See, I would never use any NASCAR-related content. I don't identify with it culturally and think of it as something closer to professional wrestling than motorsport. NASCAR isn't really taken seriously on an international level. I would, however, love to see more US tracks, though. Lime Rock and Watkins Glen would be wonderful. The devs seemed to have moved away from this direction, though.

18. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    That would be cool with NASCAR serie alongside DTM, ATAC, WTCC. Audi Sport TT Cup, Froup5, and all the other would be awesome :D But since NASCAR have it's own game I think it could be prety expensive with licence of the official cars..

19. Pastor_Chris

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Wouldn't need NASCAR per say just a stock car series equivalent like RF2 has

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Caledonian Wolf

Caledonian Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    Even here in the UK it's hard getting MP races after 11ish GMT. There are a few "hardcore" racers that appear most nights but by 1am GMT it's usually dead. BTW a high ping doesn't seem to effect racing for me so much as the amount of drivers in the race. Everything is usually stable until you get more than 10 or so drivers and that can cause issues so don't let high pings put you off.

• Agree Agree x 1