How make hairpin in Macau

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mike S, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    So frustrated, can one of you guys help. I keep messing around with Macau but there's on slow right hand hairpin on that track that is pretty much impossible to navigate. I've tried with the radical as well as with DTM 2016 cars and even if I crank up the steering turns to 20 it still doesn't make it without crashing into the wall.

What am i doing wrong?

2. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    @Mike S ,
    take a look in an ai cockpit, how they do it. That's how I managed it at least in 90%.
    Drive on the outer left upto the arrow on the tarmak, break hard and turn your wheel right. With a bit excersise you should master this hairpin without changing your wheellock.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. testdriver69

testdriver69 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    i guess you are too fast for the hairpin
    it is a real slow, corner only step on the gas when you can already see the exit

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    In older cars I tend to clutch-kick my way around, but the way in newer cars, for me, seems to be to break hard and be at the very left of the track, and learn at what point to turn in..

5. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,509 / 0 / -0
    With some cars it helps to increase the steering lock (car setup>steering settings).
    You might want to increase the wheel range as well in that case to compensate the overall sensitivity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Plus: Take the "BUS" writing on the road as point where you turn your wheel in the right direction (fast) :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    You need a steering lock of at least 15 to be able to make it through the hairpin.

8. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    This usually works :tearsofjoy:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Agree Agree x 5
  9. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. testdriver69

testdriver69 Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    hahaha that's how it is done :D
    as you can see this hairpin is ludicrously tight leaving no space for error when it comes to the right speed

11. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    This isnt really accurate to say, because it heavily depends on the car. If you have something like DTM 92 that has a degrees of rotation of 900... and use 15 steering lock... you are going to have a bad time.

If you use the Audi R18 LMP1 car with 15 steering lock... holy moly sensitivity :p

All the cars in their default steering ratios should be able to take the hairpin without changing the steering lock. For instance, the Tatuus F4 car has 450/12 for it's ratio and it handles it fine. However... you need a proper line into the corner, and cant go too fast.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    I don't own the Tatuus, but I doubt that it handles the hairpin fine. Steering lock works the same way across all cars and controllers, and at 12 it's impossible to take the hairpin in a fast way.

Apart from that, the steering lock depends on your controller. When you use a gamepad, your default steering lock is 8 in all cars.

13. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Eh, I wouldnt really say it's impossible. 450/12 works on that car just fine. I know because Im specifically the one that tested this before the car was released. Among many other cars with different steering ratios and many different steering lock values.

The Tatuus with default settings just needs the correct racing line and you can take it fine. Increasing the steering lock just makes the turn easier and gives you more margin of error.

Dont really agree with this at all. You are leaving out steering ratio. I think that plays a bigger role than just the singular steering lock value. With a DoR of 900 and steering lock of 15, that turn is a nightmare. But with a DoR of 360 and steering lock of 15... your car will be incredibly twitchy and you dont really need that for Macau.

Not to mention that having a steering lock of 15 on every car does not mean they will all turn the same (regardless of DoR) or have the same turn radius. You are neglecting wheel base and how that plays a role. Shorter cars should have a tighter turning radius I believe.

I dont know the specifics on this well enough to comment, but I dont believe the steering ratios of a game pad are directly comparable to a wheel. I think there is some black magic going on to allow controller users to make those turns at Macau.

14. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That only applies to MS gamepads tho (and has been reported as a bug), With my Logitech pad the default lock is 13.

I have to agree with nate, every car can make the hairpin even when using a gamepad with its default setup because there's a special setting in the controller setup files:

This enables an override when you're going slow enough (slower than the speed specified (in m/s)) which enables low speed steering lock. This allows every car to make very tight turns at low speeds.
    You can also try increasing the value here, but be prepared for some very sensitive steering below that speed you put in.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  15. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    I guess that explains it, I checked my gamepad profile and the Steer Ratio Speed was set to 5.5999999, probably because the profile is quite old. I changed it to 20 and I'm indeed able to make the hairpin now with a lower steering lock. Nonetheless, the default steering lock is 8 for me with my Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    First time hearing about that, until now I had only read about this issue connected to MS pads...
    Thanks for the info, I stand corrected, will update my report and give it a bump, cause I agree, default lock of 8 doesn't make much sense.

But I'm glad the steer ratio speed setting did help tackling the hairpin(s).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  17. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    That's the only thing that worked for me. Pushed the steering lock up 5 points or so. Then I finally was able to make it.

18. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to bump this old thread, but I got my trusty old Momo out for the eSports WTCC in Macau, and with the default steering lock of 13, it's impossible to make the hairpin. Steer Ratio Speed is set to 0 in the default controller profile. So there are still cases where it doesn't work out of the box.

19. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    The RRRE version of this hairpin is by far the hardest. Race07 and rFactor2 versions are easier. I don't know what the most accurate version is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Change the steering lock to 16 - 18.
    Edit:The default lock is car based, and set the same on every track.

• Agree Agree x 1