Question How to set up a championship with correct number of laps

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Piercarlo, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Piercarlo

Piercarlo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Since the different experiences were removed from the menu (which was really bad decision in my opinion), I need to set up my own DTM championship if I want to play a full season. But how to set different number of laps for different tracks? Is it possible? If no, it's no longer play a proper DTM season because in this series the races are measured in distance covered (not in race time) so the number of laps to be covered vary from track to track.

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
  3. Piercarlo

Piercarlo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately you omitted an important part:
    - One race of 40 minutes plus one additional lap
    - One race of 60 minutes plus one additional lap.

So if you set up a race of 40 or 60 minutes you would not be able to drive the whole race distance.

That's the rule since 2015. But in 2013 and '14 there was only one race, which had a distance of about 170 kilometres. The distance to be covered varied from track to track. If I remember correctly, only the maximum race time (75 mins) was predetermined. This is how it looked like in 2014 (time/distance):

1. Hockenheim 1:06'40.548/192.108 km
    2. Oschersleben 1:15'28.785/ 162.624 km (Race stopped early because of time limit)
    3. Hungaroring 1:08'35.291/179.621 km
    4. Norisring 1:15'21.118/188.6 km
    5. Moscow 1:15'09.422/180.826 km
    6. Red Bull Ring 1:08'23.185/203.322 km
    etc.

So if you want to cover exactly the same distance as the real drivers did, you need to set the number of laps for each track manually. And that is no longer possible.

4. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    you can set to X minutes + 1 lap in the menu i believe

Andi

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Yes, there is an option for an additional lap.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Piercarlo

Piercarlo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Exactly where? I'm not able to find it. It still doesn't solve the problems setting up the 2013 and 2014 seasons though.

7. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    in the menu

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    2017-01-10 1323 0001.jpg
    And it did vary because the race distance was not preset in those seasons either. Just look at the distances you've written down, there are gaps of up to 40 kilometers. Until May 2012 the race length was set to be around 65 minutes and between 2012 and 2014 that value was raised to 70 minutes, 75 minutes max. Based on that the laps for each race were calculated.
    http://www.motorsport-total.com/dtm...nzen_der_DTM-Laeufe_verlaengert_12052201.html

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Piercarlo

Piercarlo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Excellent, thank you very much. So it's possible to set realistic race times and distances for the 2015 & 2016 seasons, although you need to work hard to set up the whole championship.

But there is still a problem with 2013 and 2014. In these cases - as you and I both pointed out - some races lasted longer than others. So if you set the race time to e.g. 70 mins, in some tracks you would cover more laps than in real life, in others less.

So please bring back the "Experiences" system where the correct number of laps was set up correctly for each track.

10. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Yea, for the time being. I'm not sure, but if there is a way to make the presets also pre-select the right tracks in the right order and other little details like that I'm sure the devs will add those features.
    I can understand where you're coming from, but I can't make much hope for a return of the separate experiences. They were dropped for good and the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. From a strictly procedural/theoretical point of view setting the duration to 70 minutes would actually be more accurate to the regulations back then, but I know what you mean.

That being said (and in the same mind as above), if there's a technical way to have the older seasons exactly the way they were inside the existing system I'm sure it will be implemented eventually.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  11. Piercarlo

Piercarlo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Wait a minute - we used to have these features in the game before - they were called "Experiences" :)

I'm not aware of any disadvantages... were there any?

I'm eagerly awaiting for that!

12. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Well for starters, confusing the public. With many different experiences and game modes, it became confusing. People didnt know what content they could use where, and it was unnecessarily confusing. Next, the maintenance time for the devs to make sure the experiences work properly with every update. Things like the menus and everything else related to them need to be checked and maintained. Why waste time doing mundane things like this when you could work on issues that actually affect the game.

Removing the experiences and consolidating everything into RaceRoom Racing Experience just makes development a lot easier and makes their use of time better. Along with bringing more options to the game since we can create championships in a lot of different ways.

13. Piercarlo

Piercarlo New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    In my opinion the current state of the game is no less confusing than before.

The experiences were a "game within a game", which for me was the primary reason for buying the DTM and ADAC packs. And I'm no longer capable of playing with the "game within tha game" which I spent money on. I'm not able to start a championship with a touch of a button, I'm no longer feel I'm compating in DTM or in ADAC Masters - because the "enviroment" has disappeared. It was important for me. And it's no longer possible to set up correct race distances for the 2013 and 2014 DTM seasons - as discussed before. Even setting up and ADAC season requires a lot of effort.

To be honest I'm not interested how much time the devs need to spend on keeping the Experinces up to date. They removed an important feature - one of the most important for me - without asking the me, as a customer. I feel robbed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    I hear what you are saying... that it was certainly easier to make a championship when the experiences were still around... but the eventual plan as far as i know, is to bring more options to the rules presets we have in game now.

The devs just didnt have as much time as needed to fully flesh this feature, and this is what we were left with right now.

So, in the future, there should be more options to make creating championships easier. Or having more rule sets for more things.

But, for right now, you can still choose the rules needed, and all the tracks. And now you can do this with any cars or tracks, not just be limited to whatever experience you owned. :)

15. Matthew_Wheeler

Matthew_Wheeler Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Rather than starting a new thread I'll add onto here,

Would a possible solution be to have the option to set the Distance (in km or miles) for the races in Championship mode and let the game automatically calculate the number of laps?

16. Alexander Asner

Alexander Asner Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    It would already help if you could save a created championship. Or have I overlooked something? Once I have completed a championship it is gone. So if I want to drive the same championship again I have to recreate it from scratch which can be quite some work. Also I would love to have a better summary after the championship like: 1. What driver has won which race? 2. What driver did drive the best lap times on each course....etc.etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018