Resolved How to start a race successfully?

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Tobias Keiler, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Tobias Keiler

Tobias Keiler New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hello guys,

I repeatingly have a major problem in starting the race without losing many Positions. Thus, my qualification grid position gets really useless.

can you please give me some hints what to do (when to shift in 1st gear, which rpm until lights go off, etc) ?

Thanks in advance
    Regards,
    Tobi

2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    basically every car is different / and the setup effects it
    wheel spin on launch , time to change gear for second phase of launch ...
    take some time in practice session single player , sit on the grid and try different rev limits for getting of the line , start at maybe 4000rpm and see what happens , if it bogs move up 500 repeat ....
    now each track may offer a tiny bit different grip so with your knowledge of were the car accelerates without to much wheel spin try that then add or subtract a little for that track ...

there are no magic solutions , just practice

Andi

• Like Like x 2
  3. Tobias Keiler

Tobias Keiler New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Andi, thank you very much!

This tracks down the cause of failure a lot, so I can focus just on training the start.

Kind regards
    Tobi

4. le_poilu

le_poilu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +278 / 0 / -0
    About your initial queso:

You can engage 1st gear as soon as you're on the grid.
    There's no need to wait until green light.
    But be aware that you light make a false start (SP mode, doesn't seem to be in MP).
    If you have a clutch pedal use it, press it (even with automatic gearbox). Then you'll have to train to find the best spot for the clutch and gaz at the start as IRL ;-)

I've managed to do better start by using clutch pedal even for sequential gearbox with autoclutch
    Wtcc are great for training this, doing a great start with powerful traction is tricky... But once you nail it you'll fly through the grid :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tobias Keiler

Tobias Keiler New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    wow... this answer was kinda unexpected o0
    use the clutch... definitively will try this! there also is a "tuner" at my driving force gt, maybe it will give me a possibility to clutch without having a sensible left foot :D

6. shardshunt

shardshunt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +490 / 0 / -0
    I also have a dfgt and i use the gear stick pushed forwards as a button clutch. first i turn off autoclutch with f5, then i depress the clutch and put it in first, next hold it at a rpm based on your car and release the clutch when the lights go out, when you set off if you get wheel spin wait for it to stop(or back out of the throttle a bit) before increasing throttle too full, finally turn back on autoclutch with f5.

• Creative Creative x 1
  7. Tobias Keiler

Tobias Keiler New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I successfully set up a hand clutch by plugging in an old ps2 controller with usb converter. i take one of the analogue joysticks to clutch by hand. There even is no need to switch autoclutch on and off, it works just fine. Now I get off the grid well.

Thank you guys so much!

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ::SKRO::

::SKRO:: Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +972 / 0 / -0
    True. False start in MP is not supported atm