Ignition - missing indicator

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rella, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Hello,
    tried to find an indicator in GT3 cars (tested the AMG and Porsche) that shows if ignition is on or off but failed unfortunately. Maybe I missed it but tried out all dashboards. There is a very low sound when you switch on ignition but it's easy to miss it during a race. The main reason for this request is when assigning buttons for starter and ignition you have to switch off/on the engine manually during a pitstop. The starting procedure can lead to some delay as pushing the ignition is only effective after a certain amount of time and in the negative case pushing the starter can have no effect. There is some delay until the car starts and until you know if ignition was enabled or not. As the Pitstop cancel button was removed successfully maybe it's possible to add an indicator for the ignition ;) In another sim the display gets dark or is switched off when you disable the ignition. Maybe this could be easy peasy to implement instead of adding a small light to the cockpits or getting some of the "dummy" lights to work. Would help to get (more) real. I personally like such details although it's probably of low interest.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Agreed...something on the dash...a light, backlighting, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I agree, this would be very useful for pitstops especially.

And because the ignition sound is so low it is also useful when joining the grid late when everybody else around is reving already and you can't even hear the ignition at all. Had that happen to me recently and completely screwed up the start because of this. :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mich Angel

Mich Angel Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I agree, there is nothing in some cars telling you if ignition is on or off...

And I got aware of the headlight flashing, I drove three races and had no clue I was driving with flashing headlights on..
    For there is no indicator letting you know if headlights are flashing ON or OFF..

5. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know headlights shouldn't work this way. When you push the button they should flash a few times and then revert the headlights to their normal "always-on" state. But I saw what you described in one of the streams of @Georg Ortner lately. You could see one of his opponents flashing his headlights throughout the whole race. Maybe there's a bug of some kind? Or did the functionality change without notice?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    It was changed slightly, but with notice:
    So if the headlights are flashing constantly, I'd check the key/button assignments. Sounds a bit like there's a constant input, or that the state your assigned key is in is interpreted as "always on".

• Like Like x 1
  7. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    This change I knew about. You push the button, it flashes a few times and then stops to flash by itself. But as I wrote I saw another car in Georgs livestream that was flashing all the time. Of course the reason could be this user set up something to flash all the time on purpose, but reading that other had this issue without wanting to do so, I thought it might either be something new or a bug.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    That was the last change regarding headlights I'm aware of. It might indeed be a bug, but as it only seems to happen very rarely and just a handful of users experience it, it might be related to hardware or assignments. So it'd be good if people could check for such possibilities, cause we couldn't reproduce the constant flashing until now.

• Like Like x 1
  9. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    So it seems that @Mich Angel would be a perfect candidate to verify the problem with thte flashing headlight :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Kitsune Magyar

Kitsune Magyar Professional Betatester Developer

Ratings:
    +9,236 / 0 / -0
    We're thinking, turning off data display/moving needles to 0 when Ignition is OFF.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  11. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    will this work with secondary displays (apps) as I don't use the in game display

use the in-game display

12. Mario R.

Mario R. Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    i agree...good idea

13. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    i used to have them assigned , then i realised that it costs you time in pitstops , as if they arent assigned the game does it automatically (cutting and restarting engine)thus saving you a second or more (tenths are tenths) and thats if you didnt forget and sit there like a prune wondering why the car isnt getting serviced

Andi

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mich Angel

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    That was me ha ha ha... That's the race I got aware that it been flashing all the race ha ha---

15. Mich Angel

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    Nope I didn't even have a key assigned to it so when peps told me in chat I couldn't turn it of..

• Like Like x 1
  16. Christian G

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to cause the issue. I'm gonna try unassigning the flash headlights function, although that might not trigger it since I already had it assigned.
    What does/did it say in the button assignments, is/was it just blank or did it say sth, like "unassigned" or sth alike?

In case you haven't changed the key assignments yet, please attach or upload the .rcs file of the controller profile you were using. Could help to figure out if there might be some weird value in there that causes this.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  17. Mich Angel

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    I changed it right away I saw it wasn't assigned and it was just blank looked like there was no option to assign it but when I clicked I assigned it to my usual button and now all work just fine..

Might add it was the Callaway and I only been practicing about 2-2.5 hours in it previous days so it was my first online race with it and it was default setup when practice started, had to use Qualy to to get it more tuned in..
    Then I raced and think it was third race I got a ..."Why you flashing your headlight all the time" :cool:... that's about what I know happend, Anyways it seem to work perfect now after I assigned it..

18. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Good idea. I'm just wondering when I'm allowed to switch on ignition after the pitstop. I would expect to enable it already when the car is lifted up and wait with starting until it's been released to the ground. But there is some time gap probably until the invisible pit crew is back safe in the pits. Is it the same point of time when the message appears to start the engine?

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. Jona777

Jona777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    Just did some little testing and actually it's quicker if you have them assigned! :)
    This way you can coast into the "pitbox" and while coasting switching off the ignition. This eliminates the "waiting time". As soon as the car drops after new tires, ignition on (timing here is crucial) push starter and of you go.

When the buttons are not assigned you get the "waiting time" for about 1,5 seconds when entering pitbox to shut off the engine. Also i think you can start your engine quicker than when the game does it for you, although difference being minimal.

Greetz

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. nate

nate Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +875 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, this doesnt sound correct to me.

If you DON'T have ignition starter mapped, you dont have to fiddle with that stuff while performing a pit stop, so this is how the timing 'should' function...

When you are on track, you need to request a pit stop before entering the pit lane. In the pit lane, confirm your choices. Once you travel to your pit box, pull up to the stop sign and the pit stop should immediately take effect and your tires/fuel should be added instantly if you did this perfectly.

Usually you dont get any 'waiting' message if you do everything correctly. I cant remember what triggers 'waiting' but...

Sometimes you will get a 'preparing' message though. This usually happens when you DON'T request a pit stop before you enter the pit lane. Requesting a pit stop basically alerts your pit crew that you are coming in, so this sort of simulates that behavior since if you enter the pit lane unannounced in real life, your pit crew likely wont be expecting you. Also, you get the 'preparing' message if you dont stop in your pit box perfectly. The threshold for this one is very tight, so even a few centimeters from being perfect and you will be hit with a 'preparing' message of a few tenths of a second.

Ignition/starter shouldnt affect this at all to my knowledge. I'll have to see if I can ask a dev what triggers the 'waiting' message.