Interest in some replacement billboards for the generic ones?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrpeters, May 15, 2017.

1. mrpeters

mrpeters Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Got sick of looking at the default adverts while running Indianapolis a bit this week in the FRUS so I whipped up a few new ones.

These aren't track specific, and would show up anywhere that the generic billboards do currently, but they are at least a little more attractive than the mostly black and white ads with the stock game.

Happy to share these, but obviously you'd need to replace the generic.kluns file after any updates (and assuming they don't change the file structure) but wanted to gauge interest before I went to far with it.

Really enjoying playing around a bit with this sim. Lots of potential. Need to build the new Indy GP circuit and of course the famed oval and you'll have me very interested!

211500_20170514232740_1.png 211500_20170514232747_1.png 211500_20170514232802_1.png 211500_20170514232817_1.png 211500_20170514232840_1.png

• Like Like x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. Oliver

Oliver Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't mind that. :)

3. Dale Junior

Dale Junior Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +983 / 0 / -0
    We need a brand new reworked version of this track with new road course layout and the Indy 500 oval layout!!! A laser scanned version would be awesome!

[​IMG]

PS: Nice billboards work buddy!

4. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Nice work :) but keep in mind that the files are getting updated regularly - so be sure to make a backup.

5. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    http://game.raceroom.com/en/about/eula/ (section 3)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. mrpeters

mrpeters Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Yeah -- same as the EULA for any other software that isn't open-source. It's boilerplate language, however that language doesn't quite fit in this case.

There's no "reverse engineering" at play here. Everything is in very standard formats (a compressed container, DDS files) and isn't difficult to edit. We're not talking about encrypted files here, either. No decryption is required to view/edit these, in particular.

So, you've never spent any time adding mods to other titles that you've downloaded from Race Department or a place like that in the last 30 years of sim racing? Yeah. That's not something I'll believe for a second.

8. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    We just got flags...I am pretty sure they won't have too much time and resources for this..even though it is a different set of people who do it.

9. mrpeters

mrpeters Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    That was my thought process as well. This is something done for just about EVERY game on the market and I think it's safe to say modding INCREASED sales for many titles.

We're not talking about anything impacting performance here or anything that would impact the times a driver is capable of. This purely cosmetic and removes ONLY billboards that used fantasy companies (other than Sector 3) to give new life to the track environments.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm betting you could take the thrustmaster.kluns and port those billboards into the generic.kluns as well.

The same process can be used to skin the fantasy liveries in the game. Wouldn't it be nice if someone offered a 2015 Chevrolet INDYCAR carset instead of the knock-off copies of real world liveries on the FR-US, just with different sponsors on the cars instead of the real world counterparts?

You can still have quality control over modding with things like Steam Workshop, from Sector 3's standpoint. It's working great for other titles and could work great here as well. There is a ton of potential in this game and I think it gets highly underrated. If something like this generates a little new excitement then that benefits everyone!

10. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    I know what you mean, but in two points I must disagree a bit, just to clarify.
    1. The Companies aren't fantasy - mostly those are companies related to the Publisher Raceroom, which is owned by Klaus Wohlfahrt an founder of KW Automotive. ST Suspension and Belltech are companies that are part of KW.
    2. The Billboards are part of partnerships with some companies. Thats the reason you found the Thrustmaster.kluns for example.

11. mrpeters

mrpeters Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Good to know. I didn't know those were actual companies. I wasn't familiar with them.

12. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    But a little bit of decompiling and modifying. ;)

Just to be clear, I didn't mean to and I didn't judge your actions. I meerly pointed out that by doing this you're in violation of the EULA you agreed to when you started using the software. I just don't want you or any other member to get into any trouble.

Whatever happens next isn't my concern, but obviously the devs and publishers are aware of this (now) and I guess they will react in one way or another...Maybe those files wil be encrypted too soon.

As for how this may or may not enhance the experience and increase the appeal of the game, there are reasons for the in-game advertising and those passages in the EULA being the way they are, and I'd guess those reasons can in part be found between these lines: http://b2b.raceroom.com/en/

Last edited: May 16, 2017