Is this sim dead?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nickh158, Dec 27, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickh158

nickh158 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    According the the concurrent user data for the last 30 days, Raceroom sits firmly at the bottom of the pile with just 400 users.
    Compare that with AC, which is of a similar vintage and manages over 9000.
    I have no doubt that this is in no small part due to the partnership with LFM.
    The user base hasn't really changed for years, and seems to consist of just a few diehards, mainly I suspect just going for the leaderboards.
    Last time I visited the ranked servers, which was at peak time in Europe, there were less than 15 people across all the servers.
    What then, if anything, can be done to give Raceroom new life and raise its userbase?
    Why aren't people interested in the massive and varied roster of cars and tracks?
    How can the single player experience be improved?
    Should the ranked servers be scrapped and replaced with a ranked system that works? Maybe with licences etc.?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    atm 828 players in game and 70 in rankeds
    any sim looks bad number wise when you compare to ac (except iracing)

3. nickh158

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    There are currently 36 on the European servers, across 15 servers. There are 15 in one, 10 in another and very low single figures in the remaining few that have anyone in them. The rest are empty.

4. Nauseumster

Nauseumster Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    This tired graphics engine need be dragged into dx12.. (e) older car and track models need to move forward to modern releases, older content in the this sim is an eyesore.

Are those cosmetic things important?, when really its the game physics/content/feels/ffbs that matters? YES.. edited by Andi ; dont need your stereo types here

remove your bias, objectively step back as if you have never played any sim before and you are entering the fray, hit youtube and search for racing videos...

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2023
  5. nickh158

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I downloaded it when it first became available, put over 2000 hours in, and still come back to the single player now and again.
    The thing is, I'd love to see Raceroom succeed, but I can't see how without a complete overhaul of everything.

6. buddyspike

buddyspike New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Yeah It used to have much higher online participation , but it slowly decreased over time.
    One thing that could be improved is an automatic, online race split feature like it’s done in iRacing (and recently added in rF2 online). For instance often there were 2 races with the same combo: one with full grid, (you can’t join because it’s… full)) and the other empty (or with only couple people). If they were automatically, evenly spread based on rank then more players would join.

The other reason was already mentioned: things like LFM and rf2 build in ranked multiplayer attract many sim racers that don’t want to pay like 5-50 times more for iRacing.
    Also many people don’t know about Raceroom. Even if it’s mentioned somewhere there’s not much hype in forums etc. I guess many sim racers care more about fancy graphics.
    In US iRacing has always been a go to sim for serious online multiplayer. Despite that currently there are much cheaper alternatives, many people still choose iRacing. There are few reasons:
    1) sheer number of players and what comes with it variety of races at any hour, day or night.
    2) Still best ranked system overall. Convenience, no need to use third party solutions.
    3) Has some issues, but is still quite polished, easy to setup etc.

7. nickh158

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I gave up on the ranked servers because the 'rookie' servers had so many really fast drivers that I had no chance. As a consistant mid-pack driver in these circumstances, I found that it was difficult to finish a race due to terrible driving from other players.

8. Chris Mackenzie

Chris Mackenzie Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    And yet we can strip the "make up" off the "pretty girls" and you'll end up with an equally ugly girl with no personality as well..........;)

Chris

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Nauseumster

Nauseumster Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    DX9 2002
    DX10 2006
    DX11 2009
    DX12 2015
    DX12 Ultimate 2020
    DX13 (rumours say winter 2024)

Its time to shoot this in the head and get it a new engine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    In other words, you're running a medieval application on a computer like Deep Thought and you're happy to get 120 fps, all without day-night changes or different weather conditions.
    :p

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    There are ways to make the game look better without changing any tech behind it. Probably devs can look into using it as default settings.

- "Standard day" mood. Our current "default" mood it too yellow and sad (just like iRacing).
    - Anisotropic filtering 16x.
    - More aggressive texture settings. I don't know what changes when you select "Texture: High quality" in nVidia control panel, but the game benefits from that.
    - After applying a good amount of anti-aliasing (8x in game), I like to add some sharpness (to make textures more crisp), but there is no such thing in the game, so I use nVidia control panel again. It would be easier if the game had this setting too.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
  12. Maskerader

Maskerader Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +356 / 0 / -0
    A couple points though.

1) Every time people bring graphics as a reason why Raceroom is unpopular, they don't mention that iRacing doesn't looks good either. So yeah, it's more than just that.

2) Comparing Raceroom and AC based on age alone makes little sense because the main reason AC is so popular is mods, while Raceroom doesn't have that. Unmodded AC won't be having 9k concurrent players and probably would be like Project CARS (below 100 players average this year).

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2023
  13. nolive721

nolive721 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    For me this plus the use of Reshade is what keeps me playing the Game a little

But boy how my VR headeset and OLED TV would be happy with a graphics engine overhaul
    Includig night and rain conditions

14. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo Active Member

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    Easy question ,easy answer - YES!
    And his brother RF2 is although dying but still fighting...:D

15. ShortyBuzzGER

ShortyBuzzGER Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Haha, funny how people say RaceRoom is dead since the beginning 10 years back and yet it is still around. It is all just big talk :D

16. Vale

Vale Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +279 / 0 / -0
    Well with that amount of time to build a userbase and the fact it is free to play, there is no excuse for the current player stats.

The game went into a coma for more than a year or so with no news whatsoever and that was probably the death knell as other games like AMS2 started improving and now people are looking to the 2024 titles.

17. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    can we get to our closing arguments as im bored of this already

Andi

18. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Not saying it's dead but it's not there where it should be.
    It's becoming increasingly difficult for RR to catch up with other simulations. Lack of innovation, outdated technology, poor communication. But at some point the collapse will come because the others will be just as good or even better and customers will migrate.
    Ostrich politics, head in the sand as long there is some revenue.
    Then a DTM pack with just two new GT3 cars or make it a TC pack, sorry that's boring. Why no more on the edge pack or drivers pack.
    Then a promised release plan, smoke after half a year.

But I'm not saying it's the studio's fault. Investment decisions are made elsewhere.

I've got so much content in the sim, I spent nearly 400 € but I bearly use it any more.
    Please believe me, I'd love to see this change again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    well
    rvrty complaint has been answered in recent videos

so ill close this one

Andi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.